Discuss APEX ENERGY UK DOMESTIC VO in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pretty Mouth

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I came across one of these recently while carrying out an EICR. I didn't have a clue what it was, and neither did the property owner. A bit of online searching came up with a bit of info:

It's a 'voltage optimiser', apparently it shaves 18V off the supply voltage (unless the supply voltage is below a certain threshold), the supposed point being to extend the life of appliances and reduce power consumption. It may have offer some surge protection too, as far as I can tell.

I suspect it may be expensive junk/snake oil, but I am interested to know if any other forum members have come across it or similar, or if anyone knows anything else about it?

There are loads of 3ph versions (very poorly) installed in hotels and pubs around here, there must have been a company going around scamming all the landlords.

There have been threads on here about these devices before.

Remember, a purely resistive load will behave differently to a device with a switch mode power supply when the the supply voltage is altered.

Sounds like Garbage

Optimum supply voltage for appliances is 220v ?

Says who the manufacturers or this crowd ?

40a continuous 60a max for whole installation ?

Is that enough or is there bigger versions?

Will they be dropping a 10kw shower down to 8.5, not too nice for the winter

Will they be dropping a 10kw shower down to 8.5, not too nice for the winter
By dropping the supply voltage to 220 from whatever it happens to be WILL save on electricity bills, which is all the producers of this item claim. Not only will the shower consume less power, but the reduced performance will also prompt the user to shorten the time they spend in the shower. Double savings.

By dropping the supply voltage to 220 from whatever it happens to be WILL save on electricity bills, which is all the producers of this item claim. Not only will the shower consume less power, but the reduced performance will also prompt the user to shorten the time they spend in the shower. Double savings.
So free electricity

????

Most domestic versions you alter the wiring at the consumer unit and circuits such as showers are not wired through the voltage converter. If the load gets too high many domestic models will also bypass the the voltage reducing circuit to prevent over heating of the transformer thing.

Most domestic versions you alter the wiring at the consumer unit and circuits such as showers are not wired through the voltage converter. If the load gets too high many domestic models will also bypass the the voltage reducing circuit to prevent over heating of the transformer thing.
The linked one shows the unit upstream from the DB

I assumed it was 'all in '

No benefit at all to showers on them

Thanks for all your replies. So pretty useless it appears. It's immediately upstream of the CU, on one phase that powers 1/3rd of the property.

It's an interesting job incidentally, as it's a large property that has been built in stages over the last 5 years or so. It's divided into 3 self contained homes for the owner and various branches of his family, but the occupants can move freely from one home to another, if you see what I mean.

The installing electrician has passed away. 2/3rds of the property were certified, but the final 1/3rd wasn't, and although occupied, remains at the snagging stage. The private building control guy has asked for an EICR on this final 1/3rd so he can sign it off, hence why I'm there.

Under Voltage
The incoming supply will fluctuate constantly; where a risk of under voltage exists, the
Voltage Optimiser will automatically revert back to mains voltage.

Im trying to understand exactly what the means above

Under Voltage
The incoming supply will fluctuate constantly; where a risk of under voltage exists, the
Voltage Optimiser will automatically revert back to mains voltage.

Im trying to understand exactly what the means above
I believe it means that if the voltage on the supply side of the VO unit drops below a certain threshold, the VO will automatically be by-passed.

Reply to APEX ENERGY UK DOMESTIC VO in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net