Search the forum,

Discuss Bad Advice From A "Spark" ??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Obviously I don't know your situation, but I have to disagree with a lot of these comments, I think some are very unfair to the 'dipstick' who just mentioned a possible solution. While not common practice there is no reason a spur could not be took off your lighting circuit, is it a stud wall by any chance? if so drop down to drywall box, the socket is going to be behind the tv is it not, ( would this be a wall mounted tv maybe high level? ) the socket could be protected by a FCU or you could even have a 5 amp socket fitted. No reason your Mrs cant have a TV in a certain place in the room with minimal disruption.

Sorry, thought this was the Electricians forum, not the cowboys forum. If you spured to a 5A socket, how are you going to fuse the TV that is then going to be plugged into it as 5A plugs do not have fuse carriers; the TV manufacturers instructions will also say on the TV lead "this appliance must be protected by a 'X'A fuse" how would that comply? The socket could be protected by a FCU but even if it was labeled to say e.g. 'Max 3A fuse' there is no way to ensure that a larger e.g. 13A fuse would not be fitted later on as this socket would be used by 'ordinary' persons as opposed to being operated by 'skilled or instructed' or 'supervised' persons.[/QUOTE]

Though I agree it's not generally good practice to spur off the lighting in this way I have seen it done in the past. Especially so in the loft where there might have been a light plugged in or a TV amp. Depending on the situation the socket may never be used for anything else other than supply for a TV, so not likely to overload the circuit and cause nuisance tripping.
My advice to the op, as always, get a qualified spark who can assess the situation and make professional recommendations.

Why would you need a link?
Doesn’t everyone know that MK produce 5A and even 2A round pin plugs?
West stated Fused 5A plug, just curious that's all. By the way I did know that MK produce those plugs just couldn't recall a 5Amp fused plug is that OK?

Last edited:

Reply to Bad Advice From A "Spark" ??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock