Currently reading:
Bad Advice From A "Spark" ???

Discuss Bad Advice From A "Spark" ??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete E

-
DIY
Reaction score
I would like an additional electric socket put in the bedroom to do away with the need for an extension cable.

Its not an urgent job and its something I have put off getting done due to the hassle factor of having to lift laminate and floor boards, not to mention emptying the bedroom of furniture to give a Spark access.

While chatting to a friend of a friend who is a self employed builder/spark/plumber, he suggested dropping a spur off the lighting circuit in the attic???? Surely that's a big no-no or is it allowed under certain circumstances?

The only reason I was chatting to this guy is that I have seen some of his work re laminated flooring and it was very good, and I was sounding him out for doing the flooring aspect of the job.. I was therefore a bit taken a back when he suggested dropping the feed down from above...

Also, how do you verify if a person is actually qualified as a Spark? Do they have to register with the local council or anything?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Have you actually spoken to an Electrician, who would be able to came and give you an informed opinion and a quotation for what you require, rather than the dipstick who told you to spur of the lighting circuit.?

Truthfully, no, just the chap mentioned and I was just taken aback by his suggestion...On reflection, I really don't believe he is anymore qualified than I am, and is probably just somebody who think that they "knows a bit"...

Once I am ready for the work I will get out a couple of people for quotes and see if their suggestions seem reasonable.

Ah right thanks, I can recall fitting that type of thing back when Jesus played in goal for Bethlehem.

You certainly know your football Pete

He was worshipped by the fans then and now

Didn't he crack his head on the goalpost during a Friday night cup match against the Italians?

Out cold he was,legend says they revived him 3 days later on the Monday,he rose up, said a few choice words and was never heard from again :)

You certainly know your football Pete

He was worshipped by the fans then and now

Didn't he crack his head on the goalpost during a Friday night cup match against the Italians?

Out cold he was,legend says they revived him 3 days later on the Monday,he rose up, said a few choice words and was never heard from again :)
Don't forget The World class Save...

No, unless an electrician can come up with a fiendishly devilish idea, I suspect the floor boards will need to come up...As I said earlier, its not urgent, so it can wait until the decorating is due...[/QUOTE]
Obviously I don't know your situation, but I have to disagree with a lot of these comments, I think some are very unfair to the 'dipstick' who just mentioned a possible solution. While not common practice there is no reason a spur could not be took off your lighting circuit, is it a stud wall by any chance? if so drop down to drywall box, the socket is going to be behind the tv is it not, ( would this be a wall mounted tv maybe high level? ) the socket could be protected by a FCU or you could even have a 5 amp socket fitted. No reason your Mrs cant have a TV in a certain place in the room with minimal disruption.

No, unless an electrician can come up with a fiendishly devilish idea, I suspect the floor boards will need to come up...As I said earlier, its not urgent, so it can wait until the decorating is due...
Obviously I don't know your situation, but I have to disagree with a lot of these comments, I think some are very unfair to the 'dipstick' who just mentioned a possible solution. While not common practice there is no reason a spur could not be took off your lighting circuit, is it a stud wall by any chance? if so drop down to drywall box, the socket is going to be behind the tv is it not, ( would this be a wall mounted tv maybe high level? ) the socket could be protected by a FCU or you could even have a 5 amp socket fitted. No reason your Mrs cant have a TV in a certain place in the room with minimal disruption.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, thought this was the Electricians forum, not the cowboys forum. If you spured to a 5A socket, how are you going to fuse the TV that is then going to be plugged into it as 5A plugs do not have fuse carriers; the TV manufacturers instructions will also say on the TV lead "this appliance must be protected by a 'X'A fuse" how would that comply? The socket could be protected by a FCU but even if it was labeled to say e.g. 'Max 3A fuse' there is no way to ensure that a larger e.g. 13A fuse would not be fitted later on as this socket would be used by 'ordinary' persons as opposed to being operated by 'skilled or instructed' or 'supervised' persons.

Obviously I don't know your situation, but I have to disagree with a lot of these comments, I think some are very unfair to the 'dipstick' who just mentioned a possible solution. While not common practice there is no reason a spur could not be took off your lighting circuit, is it a stud wall by any chance? if so drop down to drywall box, the socket is going to be behind the tv is it not, ( would this be a wall mounted tv maybe high level? ) the socket could be protected by a FCU or you could even have a 5 amp socket fitted. No reason your Mrs cant have a TV in a certain place in the room with minimal disruption.

Sorry, thought this was the Electricians forum, not the cowboys forum. If you spured to a 5A socket, how are you going to fuse the TV that is then going to be plugged into it as 5A plugs do not have fuse carriers; the TV manufacturers instructions will also say on the TV lead "this appliance must be protected by a 'X'A fuse" how would that comply? The socket could be protected by a FCU but even if it was labeled to say e.g. 'Max 3A fuse' there is no way to ensure that a larger e.g. 13A fuse would not be fitted later on as this socket would be used by 'ordinary' persons as opposed to being operated by 'skilled or instructed' or 'supervised' persons.[/QUOTE]

Though I agree it's not generally good practice to spur off the lighting in this way I have seen it done in the past. Especially so in the loft where there might have been a light plugged in or a TV amp. Depending on the situation the socket may never be used for anything else other than supply for a TV, so not likely to overload the circuit and cause nuisance tripping.
My advice to the op, as always, get a qualified spark who can assess the situation and make professional recommendations.

Why would you need a link?
Doesn’t everyone know that MK produce 5A and even 2A round pin plugs?
West stated Fused 5A plug, just curious that's all. By the way I did know that MK produce those plugs just couldn't recall a 5Amp fused plug is that OK?

Last edited:

Reply to Bad Advice From A "Spark" ??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back