Discuss Bathroom ceiling light install in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Miguel_92

DIY
Reaction score
In the bathroom i have got 2 dome shaped ceiling lights which are quite old. One of the domes cracked, but one remains still over the toilet which is lucky lol. I have got 2 B&Q lights to put up, but the terminal that comes with the lights only has 2 connections (it needs to be earthed). How can i fix this? I'll send photos of my current lights and from certain pages in the instruction manual. Thanks again.

Attachments

• photo_2021-08-29_23-31-39.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 22
  • photo_2021-08-29_23-31-38.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 21
  • photo_2021-08-29_23-27-05 (3).jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 22
  • photo_2021-08-29_23-27-05 (2).jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 18
  • photo_2021-08-29_23-27-05.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 25
Had to make sure really as the terminal has 2 room for 2 wires. As i'm not so wise with wires etc i thought i'd need 3 terminals. As i know these aren't class 2 and do need earthing. I'll try and put them up later today. Thanks?

Before you fit a new light to the existing flex you need to establish how that flex is connected, nine times out of ten it will be unenclosed block connectors which will need addressing if it turns out to be the case.

I've taken the old light down and know how to put the new one up. But it came with a small 2 block terminal unit and in the diagrams it doesn't mention the area i should put them on the light itself. It came with 2 sleeves also, but i'm not sure if i need them due to the wires being very short of i should cut them and see if they fit over the wires and into the unit. Apologies?

Attachments

• photo_2021-08-30_14-40-43 (2).jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 14
  • photo_2021-08-30_14-40-43.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 14
to be honest, I'd get an electrician to fit that up for you safely. cost no more than £50 - £60 for peace of mind.

Where i live no one likes to do these kinds of jobs. Seems they only want to take on massive rewiring jobs, but i agree because it will turn i'll end up in a certain creek without a paddle i think if i try. Because L/N go into the back of the bulb, then a small screw is there for the earth wire. It just doesn't mention where that terminal that comes with the lights actually goes. Thank you for the help?

Attachments

• photo_2021-08-30_14-57-57.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 13
Where i live no one likes to do these kinds of jobs. Seems they only want to take on massive rewiring jobs, but i agree because it will turn i'll end up in a certain creek without a paddle i think if i try. Because L/N go into the back of the bulb, then a small screw is there for the earth wire. It just doesn't mention where that terminal that comes with the lights actually goes. Thank you for the help?
why? whereabouts are you. .Orkney Islands?

why? whereabouts are you. .Orkney Islands?
Merseyside. They are either very expensive for a small job or they just don't want to do them. I've done 2 out 4 jobs that needed doing (new kitchen light and PIR light), but i need the bathroom lights changing and wanted a 100W PIR light putting in my garden. Already taken the old halogen one off as i've mentioned in another post.

Reply to Bathroom ceiling light install in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net