Discuss Bathroom extractor fan need an isolator? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

robo83

-
Reaction score
Just quoted a job and included a fan isolator for the bathroom fan that needs replacing.

Customer has informed me that he wants a fan (without timer or humidistat) wired to a light switch outside the room (2gang switch 1 is light /1 fan) and doesn't want the pull cord isolator.

Do I need an isolator if the fan is switched from outside the room and doesn't have a timer/humidistat feature.

You should take into account the manufacturers instructions. Most of the fans I've fitted have specified a fan isolator as a requirement, with some specifying a fuse down as well.

Yes the fan will need a triple pile isolator installed, for maintenance purposes and isolation when the need arises. As @SparkyChick stated some manufacturers specify it, and it's also good practice.

but if it's a non-timer fan on it'sown switch, independent of the likght, as OP stated, a D/P switch would comply.

There is no requirement in the regs to provide local isolation for the fan.
The regs require that manufacturer's instructions are taken into account when designing the installation.
The person paying the bill has the last say though as long as they are not asking you to break the regs, which in this case they are not.

If the bathroom is next to a bedroom you may want to point out the benefits of having an isolator to "silence" the fan during the night.

If the bathroom is next to a bedroom you may want to point out the benefits of having an isolator to "silence" the fan during the night.
Or when the fan isn't required as if the fan is one overtime you turn the lights on it will shorted the life span of the fan.

Wait until the customers wife wants a nice long soak in the bath one evening and the heat empties out as she can't turn the fan off, you'll be back installing one pronto.

Do I need an isolator if the fan is switched from outside the room and doesn't have a timer/humidistat feature.[/QUOTE]

If i am wiring up a bathroom i will install a 3-pole isolator, the main reason being that even if you fuse down the fan in the event the rotor jams the winding have been proven to catch fire just as the fuse blows.

Reply to Bathroom extractor fan need an isolator? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock