Discuss Bathroom extractor fan switch query in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Andy W

-
Reaction score
Hi there

I hope this is the right place.

I am having a house rewire, and the electrician has told us that it's against regulations to have a specific switch for the bathroom extractor fan.
It has an isolator switch, and all switches are outside the bathroom, but at the moment his configuration has the lights and fan controlled by the same switch.
This seems wrong as I don't want the lights on for daytime showers and I don't want the fan on for night time teeth cleaning.
Is it a regulation, or is he just being lazy?

Thanks in advance
Andy

Sounds like a load of old tosh. I have two switches in my en-suite. One for lights and one for the extractor fan.
Switches don’t necessarily need to be outside the room subject to various caveats.

Ask your electrician to show you where he gets his information from.

Nothing wrong with having the light and fan switched separately. Get the electrician to quote the regulation from BS7671 he is citing.

There may be requirements in part F of the building regulations for fans to be switched with the lights and run on after they are switched off, I'm not sure. This would not apply to your rewire though, only new builds.

absolutely, just tell him a friend of yours is an electrician and cant understand his reasoning.
ask what reg number it is that he is not willing to break

Numptie ....

If BCO are involved they want to see an extractor fan with timer .... but an isolator can be fitted .... but this shouldn’t turn the light off too

As above. I nearly always install separate switches outside the bathroom including in my own house. It’s a good idea to have a timer fan to over - run for a while after the shower to clear that moisture away.

If there are no opening windows in the bathroom then the fan should be connected to the lights to comply with building regulations. If there is an opening window then it's upto the customer.

If there are no opening windows in the bathroom then the fan should be connected to the lights to comply with building regulations. If there is an opening window then it's upto the customer.
What if it is daylight and they don’t want to switch the lights on?

The BCO's around here want to see extractors with timers in bathrooms - windows or not - the same goes for utility rooms ...

The BCO's around here want to see extractors with timers in bathrooms - windows or not - the same goes for utility rooms ...
Same here but can still have their own switch separate to the lights.
I personally don’t like the idea of the isolator switches. They just get switched off and left too often.

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I contacted Building Control and they said they'd have no problem at all, but to be certain I should confirm with Niceic in terms of the Part P.
I'll see what they say before I speak to the spark about it.
Thanks

Complete waste of energy if the installation forces you to have lights switched on when it's daylight. Crazy.

You have various options
I have one internal bathroom where lights and fan are controlled by PIR with the necessary fan timer overrun and the other controlled manually with separate lights and fans.

Reply to Bathroom extractor fan switch query in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock