Discuss Bathroom zones and ip ratings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Good points on both sides of this subject - most of which have been posted before. Other than in a large bathrrom I've never been comfortable with wall mounted switches inside bathrooms. Have I been conditined to think this way? Probably, but it's not easy to change a lifetime of thinking.
I just cant, I feel queasy thinking about it.!!
As for sockets I would be physically sick lol

It's a problem that just does not exist.
I support that conclusion 100%.I also comepletly understand the reticence of the other posters. Afterall the message that wall switches in bathrooms place the user in mortal danger continues to be preached to every electrical apprentice from day one. That's the same apprentice who will travel to Spain, Italy America and most of the rest of the world and not give a second thought to using a wallswitch in his bathroom while on holidays

What's the problem with a pull switch anyway?
Just noticed this post.
Nothing much wrong with A pull switch, but this is 2022.
It's change over day for two of my holiday cottages today, so I've been in three bathrooms. They all have plate switches in the room and all of them 4G.
Four colour coded pull cords hanging from the ceiling? Rooms just don't have one switch any more.

I support that conclusion 100%.I also comepletly understand the reticence of the other posters. Afterall the message that wall switches in bathrooms place the user in mortal danger continues to be preached to every electrical apprentice from day one. That's the same apprentice who will travel to Spain, Italy America and most of the rest of the world and not give a second thought to using a wallswitch in his bathroom while on holidays

Oddly enough it's a conversation we had at college and the tutor was broadly in agreement with points made by @brianmoooore

There’s zero risk with even a socket in a bathroom, unless you are in the habit of going for a bath with a plugged in toaster.
The regs are to minimise risk as much as possible.

In my en-suite, I can be standing in the shower, screen door open, bathroom door open, and I can touch the switches in the bedroom with wet hands…. But I’m not going to!

When I visited New Zealand, they had an RCD socket in the bathroom. No special pin sizes, could have been used for anything.

There are erroneous regulations throughout the book… why are WCs and kitchen sinks free from special location regs? Why do bathroom zones sometimes stop short of the height of a bathroom?

We can all work to the letter of the law, but there’s no problem going that extra mile to make things even more safer…..
So for me, bathroom switches and shower isolators are on the wall, outside the bathroom completely. I try not to use pull cords simple because they break too easily

Reply to Bathroom zones and ip ratings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net