Discuss Becoming a electrician in few weeks! (Crash courses) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

hands up I did a "quick course" with a profit run private college place. I thought what they offered was ok as it got me my 17th edition ok and taught me the theory but luckily i was working with an electrician for the last three years or so learnt the pratical too.
I think they should state with them that you should do them along side work experience "apprenterships". As at college i was along side McDonalds managers and shop assistants that between the weeks at college didnt touch a tool and expected to go out on their own once they had finished the course.
Due to unforseen circumstances (a falling out with my boss) i am now starting on my own and have my first part P assessment on 4th Feb (nervous as heck about it) I would have liked to stay with my boss for another year to gain more experience but here we are.

I did the trade skills 4 u course 17th & part p as a starter as i was retraining from electronics trade & then enrolled on the 2330 at college to learn the trade properly & can tell you there is no way he is more qualified than a proper sparks, it's a good starting point if your re-training but if you think you can do theses 3 week courses & think your a spark then you have another thing coming. I'm luckily enough to of found a company that will take me on while i'm doing the 2330 & can tell you site experience is the key & have learnt so much more, theses courses are good but just a starting point, but are good if your already a spark & need the 17th.

IUts a pity that these courses cant be outlawed
The tried and tested way of becoming a competent electrician is the apprentiship route
For anybody deluding themselves that a short course will give that competence then either the person themselves are in for a surprise or the customers they sevice will probably be put in unknown and unforseen danger by inexperience
Do it right or not at all
It only lowers the perseption of the trade which has been demonstrated the last few years notably by the niceic who have welcomed these charletons for gain without thought of safety

The tried and tested way of becoming a competent electrician is the apprentiship route
For anybody deluding themselves that a short course will give that competence then either the person themselves are in for a surprise or the customers they sevice will probably be put in unknown and unforseen danger by inexperience
It only lowers the perseption of the trade which has been demonstrated the last few years notably by the niceic who have welcomed these charletons for gain without thought of safety

I really think that you have a bad perception of these "short courses", it really depends on the person and HOW they utilize their learning experience, I agree totally that if you did a 4 week short course, then went out on your own house bashing it would be dangerous to say the least. However, my course was run over a period of 9 months with working on site in between to give me that valuable experience needed to undertake the maintenance and installation of Domestic wiring. I always do all my work correctly, safely and according to regs, so please dont slate all involved with these as there as still many of us who will do a good job, safely and progress onto being very good electricians.

Thanks

took me years to get qualified and more importantly experienced, however nothing wrong with short courses as long as you only do work you are capable of doing and know your limitations.

problem is everyone is different and a lot of these short courses are passing people who quite simply are not capable - if your good enough then fair enough good luck to ya - but if your not fail them and insist on further training - like everything else in the industry theres not enough regulation........

for what its worth.

I must be missing something. Before part P There was nothing to stop Joe public or any cowboy carrying out electrical works. Now at least we have a standard and maybe it can be improved on but I personally think that anybody taking these courses are inteligent minded people and can't imagine half whitt cowboys being able to pass.

At least now someone can now be held acccountable for works carried out and yearly inspections to keep people on there toes.

I must be missing something. Before part P There was nothing to stop Joe public or any cowboy carrying out electrical works. Now at least we have a standard and maybe it can be improved on but I personally think that anybody taking these courses are inteligent minded people and can't imagine half whitt cowboys being able to pass.

At least now someone can now be held acccountable for works carried out and yearly inspections to keep people on there toes.

i cant beleave what i am reading about these happy go lucky courses, who runs these courses B & Q lol save your money and go have alook at the display boards in the stores ( cowboys). started as electricians mate and went to night school ,how it should be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it took me 7 years night school one day aweek hard gaft and took my, AM1 , NVQ3 and my 2391 , 17 th edition and graded JIB approved electrician IT JUST TAKES (P*** OUT OF SKILLED TRADES ) I HAVE HAD MY OWN COMPANY FOR 5 YEARS , AND I WAS TOLD THAT YOU WILL NEVER STOP LEARNING, HOW TRUE HE WAS!!!!! BEEN A ELECTRICIAN FOR 16 YRS

i cant beleave what i am reading about these happy go lucky courses, who runs these courses B & Q lol save your money and go have alook at the display boards in the stores ( cowboys). started as electricians mate and went to night school ,how it should be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it took me 7 years night school one day aweek hard gaft and took my, AM1 , NVQ3 and my 2391 , 17 th edition and graded JIB approved electrician IT JUST TAKES (P*** OUT OF SKILLED TRADES ) I HAVE HAD MY OWN COMPANY FOR 5 YEARS , AND I WAS TOLD THAT YOU WILL NEVER STOP LEARNING, HOW TRUE HE WAS!!!!! BEEN A ELECTRICIAN FOR 16 YRS

So you are saying if you had to start out now you wouldn't do one of these courses.?:rolleyes: Seems to be a bit of envy from so called time served sparks that these courses wern't available at the time.:eek:
When i was doing my 17th and 2391 couple of guys who were supposed to be experienced. FAILED. I don't call myself an electrician (Domestic Installer) is correct term. If i am asked to look at a job outside my experience i decline, recommend an Electrician.:D

I think you compleately missed my point. get off your high horse. point being at least there is a standard now to protect customers before there wasn't.

example, my shower stopped working, landlord sent an odd job man to replace it,
not impressed so complained that a sparky should have at least checked it, so out comes the letting agents electrician, nice bloke i spoke to him as i was awaiting my niceic at the time,he was an old lag, time served,with his own firm couple of apprentices etc. and later worked with him. but all he did was check that the connections were good in the shower... dont need a cert.as its like for like he said as he left. now if that was me as a dommy i would have at least checked the bonding, non evident, and the IR, and recommended fitting an rcbo, he didnt even look at the fusebox ! experienced yes, assuming definately, i went on a rewire job as he was short handed, minimum amount of power and lighting outlets,and didnt put protection over notched joist, despite my suggestion, put smokes on rcd lighting circuit and so on, all he was interested in was getting offsite asap with the cash, i was reminded of Harry Enfields, 'loads of money , splish splash splosh, loads of dosh.'

I think unfortunately you will find that in all trades it dosnt matter how qualified you are some peolpe will cut corners and just take the money. Which is why i think it is a good thing that now someone is accountable for electrical works in a domestic household.

i think you compleately missed my point. Get off your high horse. Point being at least there is a standard now to protect customers before there wasn't.
some one needs to tell all the customers about the part p ,9 out of 10 people do not know any thing about it, why dont these part p company (napit niceic ) put adverts on tv & radio to explane the part p ,they can use some of the membership money which i keep paying since this fast started
cheers

completely agree and have posted similar, most punters arnt interested in getting a cert. as long as it means a cheaper job, part p wont work as it was designed to unless theres a a campaign to inform joe public, and building control work out how to police it, untill then its just an expensive joke on us, that goes for upgrading bonding and rcds as well, its like a plumber being asked to fit an extra sink, who disapears into the loft for an hour only to return and tell the punter they need to upgrade their boiler and mains supply first, ....if they are not informed they about the regs, its no wonder they think you are just on the make

Chaps, can we calm down a bit.

Remember this is a friendly forum and i'd like to keep it that way.

Cheers.

Hi everyone, Iam looking for advice, iam 28, female and have been interested in doin electrician since i was 18 but i chickened out!! am I too old to apply now?

Reply to Becoming a electrician in few weeks! (Crash courses) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock