Discuss Becoming a electrician in few weeks! (Crash courses) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi everyone, Iam looking for advice, iam 28, female and have been interested in doin electrician since i was 18 but i chickened out!! am I too old to apply now?

I'm sure there are plenty of electricians in your area that you can ''do'' at 28. Are you sure you won't chicken out again though?? lol!!!!

I'm on one of these courses right now (with et4u) and they say that we will definitely not be top sparks on completion, that's given. However we will have done testing, 17th ed., design and wiring circuits, and be 'safe and competent' enough to register with napit, niceic etc. LOnger courses spend much time learning about extinguishers, cpr, life skills etc so long doesn't always mean better. The 4 week courses are a good grounding in electrics though

My aim is to get some work as a mate for a spark so I can gain experience and confidence and only then will I even consider thinking of myself as an electrician, that will take years.

example, my shower stopped working, landlord sent an odd job man to replace it,
not impressed so complained that a sparky should have at least checked it, so out comes the letting agents electrician, nice bloke i spoke to him as i was awaiting my niceic at the time,he was an old lag, time served,with his own firm couple of apprentices etc. and later worked with him. but all he did was check that the connections were good in the shower... dont need a cert.as its like for like he said as he left. now if that was me as a dommy i would have at least checked the bonding, non evident, and the IR, and recommended fitting an rcbo, he didnt even look at the fusebox ! experienced yes, assuming definately, i went on a rewire job as he was short handed, minimum amount of power and lighting outlets,and didnt put protection over notched joist, despite my suggestion, put smokes on rcd lighting circuit and so on, all he was interested in was getting offsite asap with the cash, i was reminded of Harry Enfields, 'loads of money , splish splash splosh, loads of dosh.'
well part of me thinks...you get what you pays for......but another part of me thinks....how appalling
not to ensure that the circuit in question was fit for continued service.....and also not to ensure that either:
1) supplementary bonding was in place
2) additional protection by means of RCD was not installed
these are boxes that are on a SOI by the way.....

Nothing like dredging up a well ancient thread with a badly written post and then not even bothering to respond again. Is there?

Probably because she's beetroot red after that illiterate gaff.....poor lass.

There seems to be loads of negativity about this subject it confuses the **** out of me.

As a Qualified electrician in forces (Royal Engineers EOD) because of the nature of are job we do it for 2 years then get hurled off to bomb disposal for 4 years then hurled back into electrics and so on, now because I decided I didn't want to get blown up any more I decided to leave and in my re settlement year did all the courses to bring me up to standard for domestic work eg. Part P, 17th edition as I had 16 Testing & Inspection I found the course good and was a good refresher I found myself confident enough to work for myself but also working with others on big Re-wires some of these people were Electricians and some Domestic Installers, domestic installers were fine to work with but I also have experience of these forums and to be honest if someone wants advice or tips he doesn't get it he just gets comments to lower his confidence presumably.

So were does this leave me an electrician qualified in forces but need to do the 4-5 week course to get necessary qualifications to work domestically which is what I wanted to do, domestic installer or apprenticeship for 5 years or JIB card or Elecsa, NIC EIC there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I am taking my 2391 or the new form of it soon cause its been split into 2, is it worth going on this forum for advice or will you just get worthless comments that really don,t help.

Soz about the story but its all confusing having been In the army bubble for 12 years?

Short courses may be the perfect tool for your own situation converting from a forces background to a civilian occupation
It may not be so perfect for someone new to the trade

Who ever says training in the forces is somehow inferior to civilian training, or somehow the person working in electrics in the forces is not an electrician outside is talking through their rear end

The intensity of training may be much more in the forces than outside, 6 months or more of intense no nonesense classroom followed by supervised ongoing practical experience ,with added training as time progresses,its top notch and unlikely to be surpassed in a civilian occupation

If you were trained in the forces as an electrician,then you are an electrican end of

Yes but at the end of the day you don't know everything and you have skill fade so when you go on this forum just for confirmation they shot you down. I aint gonna lye trained in forces also done domestic installers course gone self employed, its nice to ask questions and get confirmation!

Yes but at the end of the day you don't know everything and you have skill fade so when you go on this forum just for confirmation they shot you down. I aint gonna lye trained in forces also done domestic installers course gone self employed, its nice to ask questions and get confirmation!

Don't be on the back foot if you need advice. As has been said, it's those starting from scratch, without experience, who think they are qualified to a suitable degree, who cause most grief . Most can see that and comment as a result. Ignore the ignorant who can't. If those asking for help explained their situation it would remove a lot of the presumption.

Stick a short summary of your background and quals in your profile page on this forum and fill in the "location". Then put a reminder in the post when you ask a question. You're much less likely to run into trouble here if members know who they're talking to.

Reply to Becoming a electrician in few weeks! (Crash courses) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock