Discuss Belling out in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Stupid question probably but... If someone was to bell out a circuit to find a fault, should they disconnect from the board and why? Also, if a light on a two way and intermediate stays o. Perminately would that be due to the strappers being mixed up?

Thanks people

Regards

To bell out, is the old way of testing for continuity, and it was a simple doorbell circuit.

nowadays, a multi function tester can send anything up to 1000v down the wire, so not only does the circuit need disconnected from mains, but any electronics or other devices need disconnected from the circuit. Ie, smoke alarms, led lights, anything that can be unplugged!

the question of two way lighting… it is unclear if you mean always off, or always on… maybe edit the post?

if always on, then the supply feed is connected to the switchwire and the switches aren’t doing anything.
mixing up the strappers would cause the light to work on one switch but not the other. Ie a strapper is connected to either the feed or the switchwire.

As above 'belling out' using a battery door bell was to prove a pair of cables were simply continuos with no breaks in either wire

To bell out, is the old way of testing for continuity, and it was a simple doorbell circuit.

nowadays, a multi function tester can send anything up to 1000v down the wire, so not only does the circuit need disconnected from mains, but any electronics or other devices need disconnected from the circuit. Ie, smoke alarms, led lights, anything that can be unplugged!

the question of two way lighting… it is unclear if you mean always off, or always on… maybe edit the post?

if always on, then the supply feed is connected to the switchwire and the switches aren’t doing anything.
mixing up the strappers would cause the light to work on one switch but not the other. Ie a strapper is connected to either the feed or the switchwire.
Thanks for the reply
Got it sorted... Testing between neutral and live with a lamp in.

Still widely used in India!

I showed the guy my modern version he turned his nose up at it

Attachments

• Belling out 20170620_081949 - EletriciansForums.net
    20170620_081949.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 22
Times and methods change Mate
advances in technology.cvwe now have these wonderful machines. batteries not required, and the magic needle eliminates the need for buzzer:

Belling out 1629441669358 - EletriciansForums.net

advances in technology.cvwe now have these wonderful machines. batteries not required, and the magic needle eliminates the need for buzzer:

View attachment 88887
Didn't we all start off with one of these??

Still have mine!

Nothing wrong with the term belling out, for simple end to end identification of cores/connections I frequently use the fluke multimeter on diode setting - it buzzes when connectivity is made.

I have a Martindale voltage tester that also bleeps on continuity.

Good point is it also warns you of a live circuit without blowing up (different bleep)

Bad point is you jump with proving dead as it bleeps until you remember it is the 'safe' bleep sound...

I have a Martindale voltage tester that also bleeps on continuity.

Good point is it also warns you of a live circuit without blowing up (different bleep)

Bad point is you jump with proving dead as it bleeps until you remember it is the 'safe' bleep sound...
My megger one does the same, and yes I jump in panic exactly the same!

i'm going deaf so a bleep won't bother me half as much as an empty beer glass.

Reply to Belling out in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock