Discuss bench mounted pillar drill running at a reduced speed even when its not under load in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Re: bench mounted pillar drill running at a reduced speed even when its not under loa

Seized bearings, incorrect voltage, worn brushes, damaged windings, incorrect gear selection, worn drive belt......

Re: bench mounted pillar drill running at a reduced speed even when its not under loa

i was thinking its going to be more on the lines of the reduced voltage causing it.

if it was three phase id say maybe a phase is down.

what could it be on single phase to reduce the voltage

i was thinking its going to be more on the lines of the reduced voltage causing it.

would it even start??

Voltage drop .... how long & what Cross Sectional Area is the cable feeding the workshop / drilling machine?

Just a couple of suggestions of the top of me heid bonny lad. :)

(could be complete bow locks of course)

Is this a real or hypothetical drill?

If it's real;
Reduced voltage is the most Unlikely cause.
Mechanical faults would be the most likely.

Is it making any noises?
Does the chuck shaft spin freely with the belt off?
Does the motor speed vary by much with the drive belt on and off?
Is the belt loose?
Is the belt tight?
Does the motor have built in brake?

Then move on to electrical faults.
If it's 3 phase it will start on 2, the motor has no load on it.
What's the incoming voltage/s at the switch?
Same again at the contactor if fitted.
And more..

I'm guessing that it's a question for one of your papers?[/QUOTe

If it is the answer will be in the material that you have already covered , they will not expect you to know that which you have not been taught; unless you have been given an assignment that you have not done lol.

As you are the person starting the thread surely you know if it is single or three phase drill?

As geordie spark said it would not start if it was a phase down

Is this a real or hypothetical drill?

If it's real;
Reduced voltage is the most Unlikely cause.
Mechanical faults would be the most likely.

Is it making any noises?
Does the chuck shaft spin freely with the belt off?
Does the motor speed vary by much with the drive belt on and off?
Is the belt loose?
Is the belt tight?
Does the motor have built in brake?

Then move on to electrical faults.
If it's 3 phase it will start on 2, the motor has no load on it.
What's the incoming voltage/s at the switch?
Same again at the contactor if fitted.
And more..

Aye, but the motor does have a load on it. It will have the load of the drill spindle & the drive - belt or gearbox - connecting the motor shaft to the drill spindle.

Reply to bench mounted pillar drill running at a reduced speed even when its not under load in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock