Discuss Bizarre dead short between Neutral and Earth in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I would suggest neutral on the faulty leg is interconnected with a neutral of another circuit (likely to be cooker). I am assuming you only removed the circuit in question to carryout the testing. Therefore leakage back through other neutral to earth at transformer. I would suggest removing faulty neutral and carrying out test between that and the neutrals of the other circuits on that RCD.

I would suggest neutral on the faulty leg is interconnected with a neutral of another circuit (likely to be cooker). I am assuming you only removed the circuit in question to carryout the testing. Therefore leakage back through other neutral to earth at transformer. I would suggest removing faulty neutral and carrying out test between that and the neutrals of the other circuits on that RCD.

I've tested for borrowed Neutrals between other circuits as this is what I first suspected. Also, whilst the circuit was removed I tested for continuity of both Neutral legs to the main earth bar of consumer unit and nothing :thumbsup

Does it the circuit trip under load?

Nope, not a single trip and circuit has been under normal daily usage

Thanks for all your help everyone, much appreciated as always.

Erm, quite possibly?

So whilst the IR reading was low enough to require further investigation and rectification there may have been enough resistance between Neutral and Earth to not trip the RCD.

The thread title is "bizarre dead short"we will have to call you 2shortcircuit from now on :smile:
Your reading has only confirmed that you dont have a million ohms,add a bit of resistance of the cpc back to the met and its not that bizarre I would say for the rcd to hang on in there

That will be fine just write down for 'Design ' Electrical Trainee and Signed of by NICEIC supervisor ..Of course I am being flippant..? ' Tony Cable'..my autobiography I woke after 5 weeks from a coma...To find myself as an Electrician lol

The thread title is "bizarre dead short"we will have to call you 2shortcircuit from now on :smile:
Your reading has only confirmed that you dont have a million ohms,add a bit of resistance of the cpc back to the met and its not that bizarre I would say for the rcd to hang on in there

It would seem you have hit the nail on the head.

The earth leakage is obviously working within the tolerance of the 30mA RCD therefore not tripping it however at a later date this could become worse and lead to nuisance tripping or the amount of leakage combined with that of other circuits could eventually step out of the tolerance level again causing nuisance tripping.

At least my actions of finding and rectifying the fault were correct and should eliminate any tripping of the device.

**** note to myself, Learn more, test more and understand more ****

Thanks again to everyone that has added their input, great forum.... I continue to learn more everytime I log on:thumbsup

Reply to Bizarre dead short between Neutral and Earth in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock