Discuss Bonding Gas Supply in an Outbuilding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Piratepete

Hi Guys
Doing an EICR of a property.
The client has an outbuilding with gas and water supplies. It has it's own CU fed from the main CU in the house.
The water is bonded but the gas is not.
The water supply is underground from the house in plastic and then changes to copper which is bonded.

The gas supply comes from the house in an underground copper pipe linked to the gas pipes in the house. So, electrically, it would be subject to the bonding in the house.
But does this negate the need to bond it in the outbuilding?

Looking forward to wise words!

Cheers
Pete:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
NO, it doesn't negate main bonding to the outbuildings CU (EMT) especially if the supply is PME, in which case the sub-main earth should be a minimum of 10mm....

NO, it doesn't negate main bonding to the outbuildings CU (EMT) especially if the supply is PME, in which case the sub-main earth should be a minimum of 10mm....

I read it that he is saying the gas is bonded in the house and is in copper pipe to outbuilding so is bonded already. The Water they have bonded in outbuilding because it has plastic pipework across to it.

I read it that he is saying the gas is bonded in the house and is in copper pipe to outbuilding so is bonded already. The Water they have bonded in outbuilding because it has plastic pipework across to it.

It doesn't matter a jot whether the gas pipe is bonded at the main house or not, it still needs bonding at the outbuilding....

Yes. your interpretation is correct.
My immediate thought was that it should be bonded, but I couldn't understand why it hadn't been done as the gas supply is an easy connection within 2 metres of the CU and all services were put in at the same time, 10 years ago. The water stopcock and bonding point are miles away.
Pete

So with no more information than a blue plastic pipe entering a building and then converting to copper you have decided it does not need bonding? Without any information as to where that copper goes or how it is installed which could make it extraneous?

Reply to Bonding Gas Supply in an Outbuilding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock