Discuss British Plugs / Sockets Regulations (BS1363) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I2C

-
Reaction score
https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/gAO3TXS.png

I've been doing a bit of research on the standard British 3-pin plug under BS1363 as I would like to know exactly what is/isn't compliant so I can advise customers if I spot an appliance using a substandard plug.

I know there are basic and well-known considerations such as:- live pins must be partially-insulated, earth pin must be solid (brass for class 1 / plastic for class 2, etc); appropriately fused on the line conductor, earth-pin longer than live-pins to make prior-connection for safety and to open shutters for live pins; just to name a few.

I've been trying to find a PDF copy of the BS1363 regulations as a reliable and comprehensive source of information, however so far I've only managed to find guides such as the "IET 2013-49 Winter Wiring Matters" - which is great but lacks a lot of information that it makes reference to throughout it's content (such as dimensions, degree of insulation, materials, etc).

The BSI shop sells an official copy of the regulations at a price of £234.00 for non-members (£117.00 for members) which seems incredibly expensive; I'd be happy to buy it if I were a manufacturer (just like us electricians buy a copy of BS7671 despite the price) but I'm only inquisitive. Is there a way to legally obtain a PDF copy for free? Or at least a comprehensive guide from a reliable source?

I appreciate your help in advance.
- Chris

If you put BS1363 into a search engine such as Google, you should find plenty of websites with pictures of dodgy plugs, including BS 1363 Plugs and Sockets - http://www.bs1363.org.uk/.
If you have a suspect plug that looks generally OK, you can put the ASTA or kitemark number into ASTA BEAB - Welcome to the BEAB Buyers' Guide. - http://www.astabeab.co.uk/buyers-by-number.asp
BS1363 can be viewed at many main libraries.

Thank you for your help M-Ty!

I had a look on the website www.bs1363.org.uk which is great, but I'd love to see the BS1363 standards for myself (even though raw-standards are usually long, boring, complexly-worded) but it would be ideal to take notes from.

The library is a good shout, I'll check the city library (more comprehensive than my local) to see if they have a copy. It would be fantastic to get a PDF though.

The Newcastle way in to BS has closed down. probably because too many registered.
As above BSI are very protective of their documents, it's unusual to find a PDF online .

You may be allowed a photocopy in a Library.

Assesing quality of connected cable became problemetic,
once it could hide in a moulded plug -both ends, with
vibration proof crimped joints !
( Measure , rather than visual . )
Any magnetic steel has to be a bad clue .
"JWard" videos are good where he persecutes copper coated Aluminium cables !

Last edited:
ESC did produce a plug checker which is a very handy piece of kit to have in your wallet. All the links on their website seem to be dead but this is what it is.

Plug-Gauge-image_263x141.jpg

Hi - if you want a PDF of the standard you will have to pay for it I'm afraid.
It seems that all the legitimate PDFs are paid-for, at a expensive price too! Thank you for the link Wilko, I'll check it out.

As above BSI are very protective of their documents, it's unusual to find a PDF online .
You may be allowed a photocopy in a Library.
It does seem that they are keen to charge for their documents, it's just a shame it's so much money. Like you say, I think the library is the best idea. Thank you for your help snowhead.

"JWard" videos are good where he persecutes copper coated Aluminium cables !
I haven't seen his video on this actually (I have watched a fair few, good content!) so I'll take a look. Moulded plugs seem like a great idea when everything is in order. Like you say, it can be problematic. Cheers static zap.

Hi,
Hint, have a look at the size maters link on this page, it gives the expected sizes of the pics.
I'll take a look, thank you for the hint UKMeterman.

ESC did produce a plug checker which is a very handy piece of kit to have in your wallet. All the links on their website seem to be dead but this is what it is.
That looks fantastic, I've never seen one before. You'd think these would be more popular than ever with certain auction-sites. Thank you Strima!

Reply to British Plugs / Sockets Regulations (BS1363) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net