Discuss Broken CPC on Lighting Circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
First time posting so hope this is correct place? Been checking out a Customers Premises and all is good apart from 1 lighting circuit that feeds a bedroom and office. A CPC has been run but has been damaged/broken/cut somewhere en route to first light switch. (proved by using wander lead). Subsequent CPC to next switch shows good continuity. Be interested to know peoples thoughts?
1. All fixings are plastic so ok to leave? - Although i know this is not an option I'm sure
2. Try and get a new feed from other lighting circuit?
3. Other options that people have done in same situation?
Cheers

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum mate.
IMO option 1 is not an option. If people see an earth to a switch they will think functional and it's suitable to change the switch to a class 1.
I'd fix it.

1. All fixings are plastic so ok to leave? - Although i know this is not an option I'm sure
2. Try and get a new feed from other lighting circuit?
3. Other options that people have done in same situation?

1. No, it doesn't comply.
2. No, why would you combine this circuit into another lighting circuit.
3. Find the fault and fix it, or replace the cable with the fault.

1. No, it doesn't comply.
2. No, why would you combine this circuit into another lighting circuit.
3. Find the fault and fix it, or replace the cable with the fault.

What's wrong with extending the end of another existing lighting circuit to join this one with a new LNE ?
This would be easier for a new cable run back to the CU. The old cable would then be disconnected.

A CPC has been run but has been damaged/broken/cut somewhere en route to first light switch.

What's wrong with extending the end of another existing lighting circuit to join this one with a new LNE ?
This would be easier for a new cable run back to the CU. The old cable would then be disconnected.

I thought the broke CPC was 'en route to first light switch' as in your first post?
Isn't this just a switched live or is it wired up different?

I thought the broke CPC was 'en route to first light switch' as in your first post?
Isn't this just a switched live or is it wired up different?

Broken CPC is "en route to first light switch" but it is looped at the Switch, therefore feed from CU starts at this switch. My plan would be to sack of this cable completely and run a new feed from an existing Lighting loop.
I guess just like would you'd do if you are adding extra lights to an existing circuit.

Can't you take the cpc from another point on the same lighting circuit?

first check that the end of the cpc has not broken in the CU. common problem with 1.0mm.

The thing is, if you don't know what has caused the fault, then you don't know what other damage there may be to that section of cable.

The thing is, if you don't know what has caused the fault, then you don't know what other damage there may be to that section of cable.

Yes so i'll replace the cable, it's just whether to run a new one from CU or the easiest option from an existing circuit

I have no CPC from CU to first lighting loop Switch. That's my problem

Ok, so as @DPG stated above, surely you need to replace the cable from the CU? or am I not understanding it correctly...

Ok, so as @DPG stated above, surely you need to replace the cable from the CU? or am I not understanding it correctly...

Maybe I'm not explaining very well, apologies.
Yes I need to get a good Line, Neutral and CPC to replace broken cable and the way I see it I can achieve this in 2 ways.

1. New Cable from the CU
2. New Cable from the Loop out from an existing Lighting Circuit.

Does this make sense?

Someone will have designed this installation with the number of circuits it has, to then reduce the number of circuits by joining them together seems like a bad idea.

Without seeing the installation and understanding what is on each circuit and why it's very hard to offer any other advice than to repair or replace the damaged cable.

Reply to Broken CPC on Lighting Circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock