Search the forum,

Discuss Cable size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just a thought if he does TT it, it is close to a metal clad building which is itself TNCS/PME and also likely to be bonded via the structural steelwork , your are not supposed to be able to touch two different earthing systems simultaneously, this can itself be a shock hazard due to the differences between true earth (TT) and the PME earth.

I don't know the reg number off the top of my head, and it may be a DNO rule, I would have to look it up to back this statement up.

it is a minefield eh?

It it is unusual for DNOs to provide earths to metal framed building is it not?

This is job may need a step back and reasses. Many heads are better than one.

Im going continuous now actually, you are not up to speed LOL.

It's hard to keep up to be honest, in the last thread about this you had decided to use a three phase unit and now you're back to single phase again. Now you're wandering off into the realms of whether or not it can be connected to PME or not and if it needs earth rods or not.
I thought you would have had this installation designed by now.

Where are you thinking of connecting the earth rods and why? What value of Ra do you need to achieve?

I'd personally be looking to comply with the requirements of (ii) in the list of situations where PME can be used. I can see the sense in divorcing the PME connection and relying on earth rods for one charging point when 99.9% of the time the PME will be fine, and the other .1% of the time the earth rods connected to the MET could benefit the entire installation.

Just a thought if he does TT it, it is close to a metal clad building which is itself TNCS/PME and also likely to be bonded via the structural steelwork , your are not supposed to be able to touch two different earthing systems simultaneously, this can itself be a shock hazard due to the differences between true earth (TT) and the PME earth.

I don't know the reg number off the top of my head, and it may be a DNO rule, I would have to look it up to back this statement up.
Should a metal clad building be PME anyhow? I thought not.

This was my other part of the jigsaw, its too close, and I know its bonded as have seen it all inside against the back of the skins.

Hmm its not very straight forward is it.

I say just connect to the PME system, its too close.

Absolutly do do not approach it like this mate. If the neutral breaks down on the DNO side and someone goes to use the VC point then their body may well be the return path back to earth.

All together we can get there I am sure.

Reply to Cable size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock