Discuss Cables run in cavity between block and brick of an internal wall in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for all the advice, I will give building control a call to discuss. Hypothetically though, what would happen if you bought a house without electrical certification. In this situation the tester wouldn't have done a visual inspection or be part of the design but would surely still be able to sign it off?

And separately the tester would be a competent person but say I'm confident of meeting Part P and BS7671 and take lots of photos and explain what I've done, so long as its correct would the inspector still be able to sign it off ? Clearly there is a big risk here of messing it up and it failing on safety, but also and as mentioned above runs the risk of simply not working and being covered up by plaster and made good.

I have heard of a job round my way where the wiring got done without building control being involved. They got wind of it and made the house owner rip apart the finished extension so that it could be inspected/rewired. There are also BC officers that don't give a hoot.

Solicitors these days are quite aware of the requirements of building control. I have been involved in providing reports for house sales that have been stalled for months and even fallen through because of incorrect documentation.

may i ask what's the projected estimate of costs for BC and all inspection and testing in total?

Near me a builder has just had to remove the roof structure, the internal walls and the first fixed electrics and plumbing of an loft conversion /extension as they had built it much bigger then the plans allowed. ....... a vistory for the neigbours who made the complaint and go the local planners to act...................

Don't we all want to try and save money Murdoch?

I want to make sure I do everything necessary to meet the regulations and build a safe extension hence why I'm asking for advice. Building control have signed off everything up to the insulation and next on the list is the electrics. I'm project managing everything and doing what I can when I can whilst working a full time job. There is only so much reading I can do but at some point I want to ask the people who have the experience for advice, your choice if you want to give it or not. And for those that have contributed I very much appreciate that.
As I stated earlier I will speak to building control to get their thoughts because I'm not comfortable risking going further to have it all ripped down.

I did BC under notice and not full plans. The cost was about £900 as its over 40m2 and the electrics sign off was £300ish.

Well ............. yes to a point, but certainly nothing like this ..........

With our refurbishment and extension, the family ripped the place apart, I did all the wiring, power data, tv etc and we did all the decorating etc

All other work including connecting up the TV points were done by the professionals...

There are three parts to an electrical certificate, design, construction and test, personally I do not sign off other peoples work and in my view most sensible people don't as they are then liable for the installation. Some councils may allow a post build eicr but not normally around the time of the build as they will see it as a deliberate attempt to bypass the requirements of Part P. If you are working with building control to do your own electrics they will need to satisfy themselves that all three elements of certification are are complied with and will expect a discussion and or paperwork around design, inspection at first fix and also testing. Some councils even for sign off under a notice will expect you to provide an electrical installation certificate in compliance with BBS7671 at your own cost. Speak to your allocated building control officer as to what their local policies are and what they require.

I want to make sure I do everything necessary to meet the regulations and build a safe extension hence why I'm asking for advice. Building control have signed off everything up to the insulation and next on the list is the electrics. I'm project managing everything and doing what I can when I can whilst working a full time job. There is only so much reading I can do but at some point I want to ask the people who have the experience for advice, your choice if you want to give it or not. And for those that have contributed I very much appreciate that.
As I stated earlier I will speak to building control to get their thoughts because I'm not comfortable risking going further to have it all ripped down.

I did BC under notice and not full plans. The cost was about £900 as its over 40m2 and the electrics sign off was £300ish.
for what you want doing, i'd estimate a total labour cost of £700 -£800, so, knocking off the £300 BC fee, you are only saving £400 - £500 and you've got all the hassle. is it worth it?

Thank you all for your advice. I think my original question was answered as well as an interesting debate on best practice for doing the works and having it signed off. I'm definitely speaking to building control and will take it from there.

On the topic of saving money yes that is a big part but of what I'm trying to achieve, I have limited funds and a big family that needs housing. But on top of that i'm interested in learning how things work because it means I know how to repair things when they go wrong. And the last reason for trying to do some of this stuff myself is I'm sick and tired of professional tradesman charging £300 a day to disappear off to screwfix to pick up a part they have should have with them and then leaving my house in a state and not clearing up after themselves. Numerous cigarette butts, food wrappers, and general mess left everywhere. And I'm the one that gets it in the neck from the missus. I'll do anything to avoid that because she is bat sh!t crazy lol.

Thanks again everyone

hmm. i don't smoke in a client's house, always tidy up. if i'm short of something i should have with me, i fetch it on my own time. most sparks are the same. you must be referring to plumbers and plasterers.

only 2 excuses for disappearing off site.....

1. need sustenance. e.g. bacon & egg bap.
2. local real ale pub is on happy hour.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I totally sympathise with this guy having just paid 240 cash / day for a plumber who went to the wholesalers every day then spent 2 hours looking for pipe 'because they had run out'. Guy left a mess everyday for me and had a right chip on his shoulder oh and left me with two leaks on the boiler that I self repaired. I too am a electrician that prides on workmanship and decency but im afraid im seeing more and more trades swagger around like they are irreplaceable and think its their right to promise and not deliver, and have the cheek to charge over the odds for shoddy work.....

I can see this thread potentially being a bit of an epic :) I also pride myself doing a good job & tiding up after myself. I tend to have all the materials required for the job beforehand. Sometimes I have to pop to the wholesaler for an odd part, bit like when my car was in for service and they had to get parts company to deliver a particular part, I wasn't charged for this service, but then I'm not charging £80 an hour!

Apart from plasterers, occupational hazard, I don't know many trades who make a mess (again occupational hazard) that don't clean up for themselves.

If someone is paying £300 a day, they either live in London, or have large glass front doors IMO.

Sadly where I live there is a major shortage of skills and people don't like small jobs (I count extensions in this category) so bump the price up to lose the work. However if they do win they then rush the job and do the bare minimum. As an example of overpricing I was quoted £700 to wall paper the wall up the stairs plus a 8 week wait, I got a plasterer to do it for £250 on a sat and painted it myself.
It sounds like most of the people on here are professionals and work to please the customer, I guess that's why you reply to forum threads like mine. However my experience is you guys are a rarity and hard to find. As a customer all I want is for people to turn up on time, do the job neat and tidily, not run off to get basics parts or tools and not leave the house looking worse than they found it. Do that and you're worth £300 a day.
Also no I haven't built the extension from forum advice, this is the first thing I've asked. I have a pretty reasonable understanding of the building regs and have done a fair amount of work on previous houses. There is plenty of literature out there to help people who want to have a go themselves. Everybody has to start somewhere and I enjoy learning about how things work.

Oh you've done a bit of reading up, why didn't you say?! I'll have to remember that next time I want to fly abroad but don't want to pay for the ticket. Pilots are overpaid anyway.

You'll struggle to get a co-operative reply on here Knighty, these electricians are a defensive bunch! Only Part P registered electricians should be allowed near a 3 volt battery, let alone mains electricity! No matter how intelligent you are, how much you know about or can learn about wiring, you must not under any circumstances do any wiring. You will kill every living thing that comes near the premises you have contaminated, just because every other trade can be carried out by a reasonably skilled person, don't even think this applies to wiring. Of course there are potentially very serious consequences if it is not done correctly, but not every un certified person is an idiot. Now I wait for the flack!

Have you had your design approved ? Going back to your original question regarding cables in the cavity ,as this is not now an external wall you don't have worry regarding transfer of water but you would have to take inconsideration abrasive edges in the cavity as well as if the cavity has insulation especially the polystyrene ball type from what you describe it is empty running the cables in a protective duct for that short distance but it is your design. I think Percyprod is still upset regarding his post a few weeks ago.

Reply to Cables run in cavity between block and brick of an internal wall in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net