Discuss Can anyone recommend and useful website or books? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

PLW

Hi there guys I am a trainee electrician and I am wondering whether any of you can recommend any websites or books that can simplify and give me a more basic understanding of electrical installations and their components as I am finding some aspects of my course a little overwhelming?

Hi there guys I am a trainee electrician and I am wondering whether any of you can recommend any websites or books that can simplify and give me a more basic understanding of electrical installations and their components as I am finding some aspects of my course a little overwhelming?
This one mate ;) we have a trainee section you can apply for if your on a course.

Hi PLW, just a thought, if you are at college see if you can borrow a book or 3 from the library? I don't know if it still works like that, but it can save some money. Just to pick one aspect, I found IET Guidance Note 8 on Earthing and Bonding quite good. It's a mix of diagrams, explanations, tables and eqn. And things in it are correct, unlike some things on the internet. I ate it "a page a day" and asked about things I didn't understand. I'm sure there'll be other suggestions. Cheers.

This bloke has some good vids and some excellent books try Googling him

John Ward vids are good as well. The Learning Lounge is quite good, but annual subs of 50 odds squids.

Hi PLW and welcome
Try the IET City and Guilds level 2 diploma in electrical installations 2365. This will have all the level 2 information and example tests you will need to pass the level 2. Im assuming you are on level 2 and just starting out at college. Grab some books from the college library or local library on loan and if you find them a useful source then search ebay or other similar sites to purchase it and that way you dont waste money on a book that will be of no use. Look for basic electrical household wiring books at first and then progress onto the more in detail books. Try not to jump in at the deep end at first as you will not understand or take in any of the written text as it will not make sense. The internet is a great resource to use but start with basic stuff.
This forum welcomes trainee members and the trainee section is a great way of asking questions and getting information from very experienced members.
Good luck and I hope to be of help in the future as I am also a trainee member.

Hi PLW and welcome
Try the IET City and Guilds level 2 diploma in electrical installations 2365. This will have all the level 2 information and example tests you will need to pass the level 2. Im assuming you are on level 2 and just starting out at college. Grab some books from the college library or local library on loan and if you find them a useful source then search ebay or other similar sites to purchase it and that way you dont waste money on a book that will be of no use. Look for basic electrical household wiring books at first and then progress onto the more in detail books. Try not to jump in at the deep end at first as you will not understand or take in any of the written text as it will not make sense. The internet is a great resource to use but start with basic stuff.
This forum welcomes trainee members and the trainee section is a great way of asking questions and getting information from very experienced members.
Good luck and I hope to be of help in the future as I am also a trainee member.

Thank you for your reply I really appreciate your advice! Hopefully these books will help me out and give me a better understanding of what it is I'm struggling with.

Thank you for your reply I really appreciate your advice! Hopefully these books will help me out and give me a better understanding of what it is I'm struggling with.
If you are struggling with anything use the trainee section of this forum experienced electricians will help you out with any question you have. I forgot to mention the Big yellow book of wiring regulations its expensive so grab one from a library for now and cross reference things you read in the learning books over to the regs book it will start to make sense eventually.

If you are struggling with anything use the trainee section of this forum experienced electricians will help you out with any question you have. I forgot to mention the Big yellow book of wiring regulations its expensive so grab one from a library for now and cross reference things you read in the learning books over to the regs book it will start to make sense eventually.
I've got the yellow and the green one bs7671 2008. It notices slight differences between the two but not many. Is there any real difference?

Reply to Can anyone recommend and useful website or books? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock