Discuss Can I connect an outdoor socket to a junction box which feeds my garage? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m looking at adding an external socket on my house. I have a external junction box which is fed from the main consumer unit, in the junction box is a connector block which feeds a SWA cable which goes under my patio to my garage. In the garage is a smaller consumer unit which has a socket circuit, and a lighting circuit.

My question is, can I connect an outdoor socket to the external junction box directly? So the MCB in the main consumer unit will be feeding my garage consumer unit, as well as an outdoor socket.

Thanks for your help.

should be OK. depends on the cable size and the MCB in the house rating.

Hi,

I’m looking at adding an external socket on my house. I have a external junction box which is fed from the main consumer unit, in the junction box is a connector block which feeds a SWA cable which goes under my patio to my garage. In the garage is a smaller consumer unit which has a socket circuit, and a lighting circuit.

My question is, can I connect an outdoor socket to the external junction box directly? So the MCB in the main consumer unit will be feeding my garage consumer unit, as well as an outdoor socket.

Thanks for your help.
NO the socket will need RCD protection, some yes but no in my opinion

missed that. all depends if the cable is already on RCD. some are, some not.

Double check the rcd.
Sometimes sheds come off an unprotected mcb with rcd in the shed, even though it looks like it’s on the rcd in the board.

Anything could happen inside the consumer unit.

A photo will help us advise

This is one side of my split consumer unit. I’ve just turned off the RCD and the garage power went off as expected. So proves the garage feed is RCD protected?Can I connect an outdoor socket to a junction box which feeds my garage? image - EletriciansForums.net

This is the junction box I want to take the feed to the socket off. Back cable is direct from the main consumer unit and bottom SWA cable going to the garage consumer unit.
Can I connect an outdoor socket to a junction box which feeds my garage? image - EletriciansForums.net

And this is the garage consumer unit that the SWA cable from the junction box feeds.
Can I connect an outdoor socket to a junction box which feeds my garage? image - EletriciansForums.net

I’ll assume the SWA is earthed properly at the garage end. (Banjo with flylead to earth bar)

Not a problem adding an exterior socket to this circuit from the joint box.

As above, check that the armour of the SWA is really earthed at the garage end (it should be as metal box, but might not be properly bonded if it lacks an earth wire to the "banjo" (earth tag, see it in the plastic junction box).

You should be able to add a plastic IP68 gland to the box and run some cable from that to your outdoor socket. Replace the choc block with some 3-way Wago terminals for that.

Remember to use cable rated for outdoor use (i.e. UV resistant)! The rubber H07RN-F is one choice, easy to use, but if you want something that stays in place better but is not so hard to deal with as SWA then look at NYY-J

Just dont like those banjo's, piranha nuts are my preference. (with fly led) hope its on the other end.
Yes, having tried the piranha / Earthing Net alternatives I would always choose them now.

But if they already have the banjo then a crimp terminal and bolt would allow a wire to be attached OK.

I’ll assume the SWA is earthed properly at the garage end. (Banjo with flylead to earth bar)

First time I’ve been inside the garage consumer unit since in moved in and the banjo is not connected to the earth bar! Thanks for pointing that out, I will be addressing that before I do anything else.

First time I’ve been inside the garage consumer unit since in moved in and the banjo is not connected to the earth bar! Thanks for pointing that out, I will be addressing that before I do anything else.

The reason to make sure the armour of the cable is earthed is basically safety… even though one core within the cable is used as an earth.

imagine going through the cable with a spade (accidents happen)
The spade cuts through the armour, then into the live… the spade and armour goes live, causing a short to earth, and then causing the mcb to trip. Goes with quite a bang, but it does trip.

without an earth, both the armour and spade become live and STAY live.

Garage CU is metal, which is connected electrically to the earth bar, so, assuming paint doesn't provide an insulating layer, the SWA gland, and hence the SWA is earthed at the garage end. It's good practice, though, to earth the SWA at the source end, and preferably at both ends, so the banjo in the adaptable box should be connected to the earth wire.
Why would anyone fit a banjo, and then connect nothing to it??

The reason to make sure the armour of the cable is earthed is basically safety… even though one core within the cable is used as an earth.

imagine going through the cable with a spade (accidents happen)
The spade cuts through the armour, then into the live… the spade and armour goes live, causing a short to earth, and then causing the mcb to trip. Goes with quite a bang, but it does trip.

without an earth, both the armour and spade become live and STAY live.
Makes perfect sense and very important. The gland is touching the metal box so should have contact to earth, but most probably not earthed well enough as the metal casing is painted.

Garage CU is metal, which is connected electrically to the earth bar, so, assuming paint doesn't provide an insulating layer, the SWA gland, and hence the SWA is earthed at the garage end. It's good practice, though, to earth the SWA at the source end, and preferably at both ends, so the banjo in the adaptable box should be connected to the earth wire.
Why would anyone fit a banjo, and then connect nothing to it??
Exactly what I thought, why add the banjo if it’s not being used! The house is 8 years old, but I’m not sure if this was part of the original installation or if it was an added extra. by the previous owner.

Reply to Can I connect an outdoor socket to a junction box which feeds my garage? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock