Discuss Can i use a Reed switch to detect if my motor is spinning? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey Everyone.
Im designing a product that has an analog electrical system in which i have multiple fans.
im thinking of using a Reed switch to let me know if my Fans are working.
My thought was that when a motor is spinning, it is creating a magnetic field that would close my reed switch. if one of my multiple fans mechanically failed the motor wouldn't be turning which would mean the magnetic field would be much weaker, thereby opening the switch which then would be wired to give me an indication that i have a faulty fan. Is this correct? can i do this?

You would be better using a proximity sensor looking at a passing metallic object on the shaft or impeller with a frequency converter watching it, other methods are encoders but we start to add more cost, is this safety critical?

You would be better using a proximity sensor looking at a passing metallic object on the shaft or impeller with a frequency relay watching it, other methods are encoders but we start to add more cost, is this safety critical?

Thank you for your reply, I'll explain a little further. they are Kind of are safety critical. im an industrial designer at a a fireplace company. one of my colleagues is designing a project that has multiple fans. They create an air wash across glass. This cools the glass so it doesn't burn anyone who touches the glass. they are mandatory fans. so the fireplace will not operate if the fans are not working.
If there is a mechanical issue with one of the fans the circuit would still be complete meaning there wouldn't be an indication that i had a faulty fan. which is why i wanted a "sensor" that would inform me which one of my many fans stopped spinning.
Do you think its worth testing a Reed switch in this way? would it be sensitive enough to detect the changes in magnetic field?

im not the lead on this project and im trying to find a solution to work with the way the project lead has it designed. This system is stepping outside of what we normally are comfortable with. so just seeing what is available to us.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, I'll explain a little further. they are Kind of are safety critical. im an industrial designer at a a fireplace company. one of my colleagues is designing a project that has multiple fans. They create an air wash across glass. This cools the glass so it doesn't burn anyone who touches the glass. they are mandatory fans. so the fireplace will not operate if the fans are not working.
If there is a mechanical issue with one of the fans the circuit would still be complete meaning there wouldn't be an indication that i had a faulty fan. which is why i wanted a "sensor" that would inform me which one of my many fans stopped spinning.
Do you think its worth testing a Reed switch in this way? would it be sensitive enough to detect the changes in magnetic field?

im not the lead on this project and im trying to find a solution to work with the way the project lead has it designed. This system is stepping outside of what we normally are comfortable with. so just seeing what is available to us.
@Holewski how many fans are you talking about and how is the power distribution to the fans. I just can’t imagine all fans plugged into outlets

Hi,just from a belts and braces perspective,if the temperature of the glass,is the critical issue,i would start with a safety device,which dealt with that primary concern.

A fan shaft turning,or a magnetic field,may or may not,have a bearing on your primary risk.

A sensor placed at the glass,or checking the air temperature or flow,from the hot zone,may be more reliable.

Most heating devices,are expected to have fail-safes,built in to the design.

Can i ask,what is fuelling these fireplaces?

Is this correct? can i do this?

No. A well designed electric motor does not 'leak' much magnetic flux to the outside world, it should ideally all be contained within the core of the motor, although some does in practice leak out. But the amount of flux leaking out does not vary much with whether the motor is turning or stalled, so a reed switch would not be able to detect the operational status of the fan. DC fans produce a similar amount of magnetic flux even when they are not connected to power, since it comes from permanent magnets.

Fans in computers etc have a tacho pulse output that is derived from the motor electronics. If you can use fans of this type, it is a simple matter to convert the pulse train from the tacho wire to a go / no go signal. If not, you will have to add a sensor, either proximity / optical as Darkwood mentions, or your own tacho coil and rotor. A slotted photointerruptor is not expensive and can sense a simple sector vane attached to the shaft.

My thoughts on a solution are to keep it very simple ( - and use readily available, cheap, standard products- ) and to detect what you want to avoid - a harmful to the touch high temperature of the glass. This could be achieved using either thermal fuses or thermal switches. I have provided links below. The idea is to have thermal fuses/switches closed when the temperature is safe and to open when the temperature rises above the safe threshold. You can buy these devices to operate at different temperatures. Some open and then have to be replaced. Some have to be reset. Others reset automatically so be careful what to you select for your application. The devices (Normally closed) are wired in series with the the hold-on logic of the heater/gas valve start/open relay/contactor in order that the gas is shut off immediately and then cannot be turned on again without maintainer intervention. Others can explain how to do this. You may want to have two thresholds - one for a warning and the other to cut off the power/gas. And you may decide to sense a number of spots on the glass in which case place a sensor at each one and then wire them in series. I hope this is clear enough.

A4-5AF | +130°C 5 A Thermal Fuse, Limitor, 250V ac | RS Components - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/1245061?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Fuses_And_Sockets_And_Circuit_Breakers-_-Fuses%7CNon-Resettable_Thermal_Fuses-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&matchtype=&pla-544712137170&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk7TuBRDQARIsAMRrfUYuau7gDhpgNbNuxiC6qip_eFJX46nMzJFwpGyYEoBHBnwo-AuqnWoaAhUREALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

thermal cutouts | Rapid Online - https://www.rapidonline.com/Catalogue/Search?Query=thermal%20cutouts

Thermal Fuses | Rapid Online - https://www.rapidonline.com/Catalogue/Search?tier=Thermal%20Fuses

Thermostatic Switches | RS Components - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/automation-control-gear/industrial-switches/thermostatic-switches/

Similar to above, just as you use a flame detector to confirm a gas appliance has not gone out, you could use something similar to lock out the heat input if the temperature went above a set limit.

Whilst the thermal fuse is simple and robust and perhaps should be fitted regardless, overheating actually has to occur before it responds, so the unit will start from cold even if the fans are kaput. Better to prove the airflow before enabling the burner, which might be easily done with a vane switch depending on how concentrated the airflow is. By sensing the airflow rather than fan rotation, stifled air inlets or filters will also be picked up.

I'd go with @marconi suggestion above. It's a nice an cheap option.
If you have money to spare then vane switches are good but expensive. If you have 4 fans and you can find a vane switch for about £25 then this still adds £100 onto the price.
How many fans do you have per item?

If this really is a safety function then ignore every single bit of advice on here, and pay for some professional advice.

Don't knock him.....he's getting it free,up to now...;)

I really want to know,what is the heat source,and who is at risk,owner,operator,or member of the public.....but then,i can't stop serving and eating the Christmas pudding,until the sixpence is found :cool:

If this really is a safety function then ignore every single bit of advice on here

Don't ignore, rather treat as suggestions to further your understanding of available techniques. The actual product design will need to be worked up formally by someone with the necessary quals.

We're not engineering a solution, we're responding with some food for thought for the OP rather than simply answering a flat 'No' to his original question. Benz had to discover how to make a car go, before quantifying the risks involved if it wouldn't then stop!

Nope, that's engineering the solution before quantifying the risks.
Nope, that's engineering the solution before quantifying the risks.
if the fans are a part of the machine then do they have starters for each fan, if so then why don’t we look at inside the panel and see if you can monitor the fans much more accurate. I believe that you can use the contacts on the starter to turn on a light or something to let you know when it’s down. Your best bet is to get inside the panel where the fbetter than putting reed switches if nothing at all I believe that it can be done with relays or something with dry contacts you can use
[automerge]1573830916[/automerge]
if the fans are a part of the machine then do they have starters for each fan, if so then why don’t we look at inside the panel and see if you can monitor the fans much more accurate. I believe that you can use the contacts on the starter to turn on a light or something to let you know when it’s down. Your best bet is to get inside the panel where the fbetter than putting reed switches if nothing at all I believe that it can be done with relays or something with dry contacts you can use
Does this machine have a PLC ?

Last edited:

The problem the OP has with monitoring the supply to the fan is if one of the fans malfunctions then you will still have a signal saying the fan is operating as it will still have a supply to it.

Thank you for everyones input. The company has been making fire place for 25 years. we test to all standards required to sell into north America. We normally do not require fans for operation of the fireplace. This is the first fireplace that uses glass as its saftey screen. Code says that the users has to be able to touch the screen for 5 seconds and not get burnt, the screen has to measure under 150F. the firebox is a totally sealed box. this is where the combustion takes place. there is a 4inch gap infront of the firebox then there is another piece of glass. the front piece of glass is what needs to be cooled. this is totally seperate to the firebox. see attached image of a similar unit. from the standpoint of the design of the fireplace. we've got that handled. it functions great and have made multiple prototypes.
as much as the thermal switch is a good idea we need to individually know which fan has failed so that a service tech will know which one of the 7 fans they need to replace.I completely agree that we should have had an electrical engineer design this circuit from the beginning, but thats not my call. im trying to find a solution at this stage of the product design process.
[automerge]1573834901[/automerge]
The problem the OP has with monitoring the supply to the fan is if one of the fans malfunctions then you will still have a signal saying the fan is operating as it will still have a supply to it.
[automerge]1573830916[/automerge]

Does this machine have a PLC ?
i wish. that wasnt a direction we wanted to go over a year ago when we started this project. this will probably what we decide to do for any future similar models. this would make our lives much easier.

Attachments

• Can i use a Reed switch to detect if my motor is spinning? Decorative-Glass-Reflective-Glass-Liner - EletriciansForums.net
    Decorative-Glass-Reflective-Glass-Liner.png
    668.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Thank you for everyones input. The company has been making fire place for 25 years. we test to all standards required to sell into north America. We normally do not require fans for operation of the fireplace. This is the first fireplace that uses glass as its saftey screen. Code says that the users has to be able to touch the screen for 5 seconds and not get burnt, the screen has to measure under 150F. the firebox is a totally sealed box. this is where the combustion takes place. there is a 4inch gap infront of the firebox then there is another piece of glass. the front piece of glass is what needs to be cooled. this is totally seperate to the firebox. see attached image of a similar unit. from the standpoint of the design of the fireplace. we've got that handled. it functions great and have made multiple prototypes.
as much as the thermal switch is a good idea we need to individually know which fan has failed so that a service tech will know which one of the 7 fans they need to replace.I completely agree that we should have had an electrical engineer design this circuit from the beginning, but thats not my call. im trying to find a solution at this stage of the product design process.
[automerge]1573834901[/automerge]

i wish. that wasnt a direction we wanted to go over a year ago when we started this project. this will probably what we decide to do for any future similar models. this would make our lives much easier.
Holewski we all was trying to help and we wish you all the luck in the world

Reply to Can i use a Reed switch to detect if my motor is spinning? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock