Discuss Can someone work this out for me in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

evedrything you buy has cooking instructions anyway. don't take a genius to work out the difference between microwave from chilled and same from frozen. anything more ambitious, that's why we get married, innit?

Well, there are a few other reasons tel. But that's a pretty good 1, you know if my missus reads this i'm dead meat:knife:

Do all you guys take this biscuit out of people in this forum.

This course I am doing is not for fun. I am not made of money.

This course is to better myself and provide for my family so what harm is it that I ask for a bit of help.

Thank you to the guys who went out of there way to help me.
Thank you to the people who thought this was a joke, everyone struggles with some thing and I hope one day if you are stuck with a question i know!!!

I will be there to help you

Thanks

Rudeboy500

hi rudeboy,
if you r coming into the building trade banter and **** taking is the norm!
no fun working with people who can't take and give abit.
trouble is sometimes in this day and age it is easier to just ask the internet and let other people do the math
but the whole idea is for you to be able to go find the imformation in the regs etc to solve the problems yourself
i dont know how old you r but when i was training there was no internet (good i feel old) so you looked at the books and spoke to the lecturer,
in the faceless world of emails and texts the humour can be lost
reading the posts most have tried to help but sometimes we get side tracked
how this helps happy new year

i see where your coming frome rudeboy500 my college was awful also i did a day release for 3 years and the lecturers there were useless bar one i should say, most of them were literally just handing out old pass papers and sometimes telling us the answers in advance, i couldnt believe it.

i have started threads in the past to no success, these old sparks had it different in their day they were taught, we were taught how to pass exams, and they have a go because your going the extra mile its silly really (i just put it down to having too much time on their hands) lennys post from page to with his calc template is great ive saved it on my comp id just go with that a bit of small calcs p/v=i and have a look at the tables in the regs mate

read my post and you may possibly understand, colleges are different these days and the lecturers are mainly rubbish sparks who got too lazy to walk around site anymore, and i know id rather speak to sparks doing these calcs in the real world in real situations rather than simulated pretend ones, my college was awful and most people i speak to out of college say the same thing these days

@mackers

Hi peterdainels,
I understand what your saying, ever since I started the electro technology course from level 2, the lecturers have some what been under par in their way of teaching.

Some Lectures cannot understand that all students coming in to this industry are not working in the electrical industry or have anything to do with the electrical industry.

Take my example I don't work in this industry I do 3 hours a week at college 6pm to 9pm trying to absorb as much as I can by the time next week comes, only 10% of what I learn't is still in my head, this is because I have work commitments, family commitments.

The lectures should ask what industry you are in ? and go from there I am in my forties plus, life at the minute is hard trying to keep a job this is why I want something to fall back on just in case the inevitable happens and I lose my job due to redundancies.

This college course in like a fast track course and City and Guilds don't make it any easier what we are being taught and what comes up on the exam paper is nearly always completely different which totally annoys me. There question are based around an everyday working life of an apprentices.
All they want to do is make money

sorry for being so bitter.

Thanks
Rudeboy500

Rudeboy 500: I understand where your coming from, as will a lot of the other guys. But if we work out the Answer for you then how will you get any further forward ? If you ask for help then we'll give it, but we won't do your Course work for you.
Once you've finished & hopefully passed your course, what happens if you come across the same situation out on site ?.
As for the boys takeing the P well yes it happens, but you get out on site working along side a load of Hairy a**** builders or go to do maintenance in a Factory full of women working on a line then you'll get a whole lot more of it. It goes with the Territory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi peterdainels,
I understand what your saying, ever since I started the electro technology course from level 2, the lecturers have some what been under par in their way of teaching.

Some Lectures cannot understand that all students coming in to this industry are not working in the electrical industry or have anything to do with the electrical industry.

Take my example I don't work in this industry I do 3 hours a week at college 6pm to 9pm trying to absorb as much as I can by the time next week comes, only 10% of what I learn't is still in my head, this is because I have work commitments, family commitments.

The lectures should ask what industry you are in ? and go from there I am in my forties plus, life at the minute is hard trying to keep a job this is why I want something to fall back on just in case the inevitable happens and I lose my job due to redundancies.

This college course in like a fast track course and City and Guilds don't make it any easier what we are being taught and what comes up on the exam paper is nearly always completely different which totally annoys me. There question are based around an everyday working life of an apprentices.
All they want to do is make money

sorry for being so bitter.

Thanks
Rudeboy500

This is why I posted my template in post #2 to try and help give you a bit of understanding rather than just answer it all for you.

Rudeboy don't take this the wrong way but irrespective of level of students etc.. Any course you'll undertake will only give you a basic understanding of whats being taught and it's expected of students to undertake further research/reading to build on the knowledge

To just go to college for 3hrs a week then do nothing else in-between is asking for trouble and yes I know you have other commitments but, you have to find the time to read up further, maybe you should speak with your wife about it to let you have a break from kids etc

I also did my 2330 lvl 2/3 at a fast track provider so know the commitment thats needed to learn something new without much help from lecturers and it can be tough but if you want the pieces of paper you'll receive at the end of it to be worth anything you have to put in the time and effort esp in todays market place were colleges are churning out DI's at 10 to the dozen, you have to be able to stand out

If you're struggling with theory etc, i've got the basic and advanced Tinsley books that you can have cheap?

Last edited by a moderator:
hi rudeboy,
i can understand what your saying and i would never knock anyone for trying to better them self, but your own post say most of whats wrong about the these courses 3 hrs a week with no on site practice its gonna be hard, idont think many people could learn a trade this way.the main part of learning is the site work/experiance which u are unable to obtain due to your comittments. the college mybe rubbish but i m saying and others have said before college is only part of the training ive only just join this site this month but what im seeing is alot of questions been asked about stuff that any good experianced spark should know.u can learn theory till it comes out of your ears but theory don't pay the bills. this site should make it compulsary to list what u are to join ie electrician, apprentice,adult improver, householder then members would know how to reply.

also everyone seems to think he wants the answer and get it the easy way but in my opinion its better to be shown how to do it before trying to do it wrong its easier to understand something if you knwo how its done if that makes any sense lol

Hi peter: Maybe we all think he wants the answers given to him from the title, Lenny posted a link in post 2 which should have explained things & in post 12 Fuzzy laid it out quite simply.

agreed man lennys template is good i just think it might help to see it done and learn that way just a personal preferance ill have a go at it using lennys template

Reply to Can someone work this out for me in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net