Currently reading:
Canbus Cable

Discuss Canbus Cable in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gerard

Hi,Has anyone connected a canbus connection, and if so, what type of cable did you use? Was it just normal sheilded cat5?Gerard

I had a little read up! Yes that sort of Belden is what you need and the last digit relates to how many pairs there are in the cable. Each pair is individually screened and then an overall foil. Cat 5 is not ideal for rs485 type applications.

i'm using it to join a hmi to an expansion module, this module will then be connected to the i/o's, analog inputs/outputs, etc. It's a Unitronics HMI/PLC combination..

I will probably try shielded cat 5 first(because I have some), in the meantime I will try and sort some belden cable...thanks

Yeah it's pretty readily available. I only know about it as I'm changing a load of cat 6 at the moment for the Belden as they are having interference problems. This is for modbus but its a similar idea

We supply and use Lutze CANbus cable 104206. Cat 5 might work for shorter distances. The problem is when you get noise or ANY other problem and its becomes easy to blame the cable first as its not to specification. Please don't forget the termination resistors they come in the packet.

Reply to Canbus Cable in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back