Discuss Catagory for bad cable work please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I was working in an old shop yesterday in which I have been asked to do an inspection. While there I found cables draped diagonally across the ceiling of the cellar. The unprotected choclate block is clearly a Cat 1, but what would your reaction be to the cabling?

Catagory for bad cable work please IMG_0556 - EletriciansForums.net Catagory for bad cable work please IMG_0554 - EletriciansForums.net

C3. I'd find it difficult to justify a C2 for untidy wiring. OK, it needs supporting, but it's not going to be dangerous if a fault occurs. But it is a quick fix anyway, so I'd go C3.

I'd maybe give the choc block a C3 because there is insufficient mechanical protection - it's not necessarily presenting any danger, particularly because it's by the ceiling.
As for the cables, C3 at most, if there is any danger of them falling any further - there are no specific rules against messy work.

Bad as they are, the cables are not supported or correctly fixed therefore I would say it merits a C3. The block connector though would be a C2 which also includes basic insulation external to a suitable enclosure. How high is the distribution board fixed? Are these connections live and are they accessible?

The ESC guide below should provide some guidance.

View attachment ESC EICR guide.pdf

Last edited:
I would consider the unprotected block connector to be exposed live parts, and therefore must be C1.

Bad as they are, the cables are not supported or correctly fixed therefore I would say it merits a C3. The block connector though would be a C2 which also includes basic insulation external to a suitable enclosure. How high is the distribution board fixed? Are these connections live and are they accessible?

The ESC guide below should provide some guidance.

View attachment 14051

C1 for the profile badge :)

The consensus for the festoon of cable across the ceiling of the cellar seems to be C3. I had thought that with the possibility of people swinging on the cable, or getting objects caught in it, and pulling the cable such as to cause other attached equipment (eg fuse boxes) to be damaged or even pulled off the wall would warrent a C2.

The chock block although it offers some protection to about IP2, presents bear live metal work and is therefore by definition C1.

The missing cover of the CU may also give access to live bare metal work and if it did then it would be C1, however the busbars inside CUs are now often insulated such that even if the front cover of the CU were missing altogther there would be no dager. In this case the missing blank would be no more than C3.

Last edited:

Reply to Catagory for bad cable work please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock