Discuss Ceiling PIR - LED recessed downlights problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JB_

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

Has anyone had problems with ceiling PIR's controlling LED downlights?

Recently I installed 5 x 7W LED downlights controlled vis a ceiling mounted PIR (Elkay). Sometimes the lights won't turn off after the preset delay time, sometimes they will.

Does anyone know of any reason the PIR won't operate properly? I've tried putting a normal incandesant load on with the LED's dis-connected - all fine so it's not a faulty PIR.

Any idea's?!!

I'v seen written in some manufacture instructions that they sometimes need a MINIMUM load.

I recall challenger PIR's (which I fit alot of) state they need at least 50Watts so maybe this is your problem?

I'v seen written in some manufacture instructions that they sometimes need a MINIMUM load.

I recall challenger PIR's (which I fit alot of) state they need at least 50Watts so maybe this is your problem?

Yep, tis 40W on this one. Also switching with the lights is a mirror demister which should push it over the min requirement but maybe the stated min is not very accurate.

Time guard PIR's have a minimum load requirement & for low loads they do a small devise to use with energy saving lamps, one of those may help. Does the PIR have a neutral connection?

Yes it does have a neutral connection.
Have tried a capacitor accross the poles (gadgety-device-thingy), didn't change anything.
Think it must just be the LED lights not liking the pir, can't see why though.

All PIRs are electronic switches with relays and so exhibit a small amount of leakage. Therefore a capacitor is usually fitted not only to increase the load a little but take away that excess energy that causes LEDs to stay on or 2W fittings to flicker in the OFF condition.

Easy when you know how eh?

Reply to Ceiling PIR - LED recessed downlights problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net