Discuss Changed New Light Switch (and old switch) Won't Work in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After much swearing and cursing (I hope the neighbours didn't hear) I've come online for some help.

We have a dimmer switch in the kitchen and my wife wanted a simple on/off switch instead. Obviously, I switched off the circuit for downstairs. Then, I unscrewed it and took a photo of the wiring:

Rewire_4.jpg

All good so far. Then I wired up the new switch using the instructions:

rewire_5.jpgInstructions.jpg
I tried a few different combinations, but nothing worked. Hey, ho, this isn't my area of expertise. I can't get it working so I'll put the old one back:

rewire_7.jpg

And here's the twist: Still nothing. All the downstairs lights appear to be off except one. I've swapped the switched neutrals in case that was causing it, but nothing works now. I'm no electrician, so I was careful to record what I did in case I needed to retrace my steps, but even that wasn't enough.

If anyone can advise on how to fit the new switch with the instructions, I'd be very grateful. I've taken a day off to do some DIY and this was at the top of my list, and I can't even get that right!

Cheers

Delano

TL;DR
DIY'er messes up downstairs lights by replacing switch
Just an update to show other combinations that I've tried with the new switch:

rewire_a1.jpgrewire_a2.jpg

Needless to say, this still doesn't work.

Thanks, but still no joy. Here's a photo from a different angle. I've marked the wires with nail polish (not mine) to show that they come from the same cable:

rewire_label_1.jpg

I've tried swapping the neutral cables to see if that would work, but still nothing.

The live should complete the circuit, with the extra cable joining wires. Is there anything else I could have missed?

Thanks, but still no joy. Here's a photo from a different angle. I've marked the wires with nail polish (not mine) to show that they come from the same cable:

View attachment 102608

I've tried swapping the neutral cables to see if that would work, but still nothing.

The live should complete the circuit, with the extra cable joining wires. Is there anything else I could have missed?
Are you sure nothing has tripped as a result of your earlier experiments? Any breakers off that used to be on?
Are the other lights working at the moment?

Well, here's my circuit breaker:

breaker.jpg

The only one that is off ATM is the lights circuit for downstairs. Obviously, I switch it on to test the lights. But even when it wasn't wired correctly the breaker didn't trip. There is another circuit for another part of the house, but the breaker there is all on and shouldn't affect the kitchen.

Only one light currently works downstairs (the one in this cupboard). The house was completely rewired (certainly not by me) about 8 years ago, so should be in good condition.

Well, here's my circuit breaker:

View attachment 102609

The only one that is off ATM is the lights circuit for downstairs. Obviously, I switch it on to test the lights. But even when it wasn't wired correctly the breaker didn't trip. There is another circuit for another part of the house, but the breaker there is all on and shouldn't affect the kitchen.

Only one light currently works downstairs (the one in this cupboard). The house was completely rewired (certainly not by me) about 8 years ago, so should be in good condition.
Oh, OK
So the kitchen lights are not on the 'downstairs lighting' breaker on the left, but on the smokes and outside lights breaker on the right. What happens if you turn off and on again the left hand downstairs lighting breaker?

Great!

That worked. I had to flip it a couple of times though. Now all downstairs lights are on!

Many thanks Avo. I guess that the circuit breaker had flipped, but just not on the board.

Cheers

Great!

That worked. I had to flip it a couple of times though. Now all downstairs lights are on!

Many thanks Avo. I guess that the circuit breaker had flipped, but just not on the board.

Cheers
Good news. Well done.
The big question is - does the new kitchen light switch now work🤔 ?

Okay, so now all systems are go (except my flippin' hue lights, but I'll sort that).

It looks like if I switched the kitchen lights to 'on' then flipped the circuit breaker, nothing came on.

But if they were flipped to 'off' the rest of the lights would come on and then I could happily toggle the kitchen lights on and off.

Possibly a breaker issue?

But all working now.

And also thanks to Loz for helping me with the initial switch wiring.

Cheers

Just a bit of terminology might throw people.

i think you called a blue wire a neutral earlier, when it is a switched-live. Blue with a bit of brown sleeving on it.

Lightswitches tend not to have neutrals at them, unless they are smart devices and require a neutral to work. Otherwise, they may just be jointed and left floating in the box.

Reply to Changed New Light Switch (and old switch) Won't Work in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net