Discuss consumer unit height and tails in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been to see me sisters house being built and to have a nose tbh.

I noticed the comsuner unit in the toilet up high, dont they have to be between 1350 and 1450mm, thought it was a reg for new build?.

also saw 16.0mm T&E to the MEB box about 8 mtrs away also with a 16.0mm earth, got a bit distracted but i swear it was capped down a wall with a socket then though the wall, so cant see it having the 50.0mm depth for non RCD.

there are 13 other houses being done so will pop over again and have a closer look, but if i do find the T&E run this way who do you think i should speak to , the foreman? or straight to the spark as i assume he aint RCD protecting it in the MEB box?.

Cheers
Grand

Not sure I'd be criticising a builders spark...

yeah thats what im worried about, not sure on the height reg but i know that 16.0mm isnt right, can live with consumer unit height but not happy if that 16.0mm is like that, dont even like thast its in 16.0mm. its as 4 bed house also, showers on the HW though , but still thought tails had to be 25mm

Still you have seen it I wouldn't worry about criticising them at the end of the day this is for sisters house you are talking about you want to make sure it is done right I would get the facts straight and take it to him I wouldn't want to move into a new build and find this out after everyone is long gone

The 16mm may connect to a switch fuse with a 80amp fuse in it.
Doesn't excuse burying the cable in the wall tho without mechanical protection or earthed metal containment if installed in prescribed wiring zones

Last edited:
I was always told consumer units had to be at a suitable height for working on safely, ie not squashed up in an understair cupboard, and not at a height you needed steps to reach.
Tails should be 25.0mm, no question.
Any chance of photos before this abomination gets plastered over?
Wait until the house is finished.... Bathroom door hitting wash hand basin.... drains running uphill.... Seen it all.

I was always told consumer units had to be at a suitable height for working on safely, ie not squashed up in an understair cupboard, and not at a height you needed steps to reach.
Tails should be 25.0mm, no question.
Any chance of photos before this abomination gets plastered over?
Wait until the house is finished.... Bathroom door hitting wash hand basin.... drains running uphill.... Seen it all.

...I think there will be questions...;)

Building control will be happy if it’s signed off by a registered electrician compliant or not :rolleyes:
Just had my two storey extension signed off after it was completed 8 years ago. Building control had records of site visits and I had copy of the EIC. All the the inspector had to double check was that they had the official scam notification back at the council which they had. Wasn’t interested in checking any wiring on site. Not saying that there was anything non compliant but how the hell would they know!

As the home owner I would certainly ask for that to be moved. A consumer unit in the toilet, give me a break. So you stand on the toilet every time you need to switch a fuse back on? Not good. Yes you are right about the height and technically it is zoned correctly hence the height no doubt but common sense must prevail surely? Very poor design. Hope no-one is in the loo when the lights pop out could be very awkward.

A toilet is not a show piece room ;)
If there was possibility of mounting a consumer unit in there,it is out of the way,its easy enough to access, the only downside is having to reset something on the rare occasion and immediately after another has been in there and caused atmospheric disturbance :eek:
What better place is there for a unwanted visual item than putting it in the bog:)

only downsides are:

1. you access CU by standing on the bog and break it.

2. you drop your favourite screwdriver/cutters/voltage indicator down into the bog.

3. see des's previous post... penultimate line.

all depends if it's wiha, wera, snap-on, or silverline.

it's a downstairs bog.in a new-build, just enough room to sit on the bog and keep the door shut with a foot. get up to wipe your arse aan yo bang your head on the sink.

Reply to consumer unit height and tails in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net