Discuss Consumer Unit "off" bathroom? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, hope this is the correct section...?

We're buying a bungalow shortly and intend to do some alterations. One of those converts the utility room (photo below) into a bathroom. In the photo the consumer unit is in a short passageway to a larder. The door at the back will be replaced by a solid wall and so the consumer unit will be surrounded on three sides by solid walls at that point...

Two questions:

1/ If I put an internal door, door frame, and fill in the wall above, on the open side of this so as to create a "room" approx. 1m square, would this alone satisfy electrical regs? If not, what else would I need to ensure is done?

2/ If I demolish the right hand wall and the wall behind the fridge (behind which is a single WC/cloaks) and the consumer unit is then fully exposed in the new bathroom, is there any sort of enclosure that can isolate the CU, i.e. a type of box/cupboard fitted over it?

Many thanks for any help.

I would consider moving the consumer unit to the other side of that door or out of the new bathroom however you end up configuring the layout. Perfectly possible.

Nice saxophones! :)

If I put a new door on the front of the alcove, surely that "moves" it to the other side of that door and puts it out of the new bathroom into the small room I have created?

Reply to Consumer Unit "off" bathroom? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, new to posting but been reading for years. I inherited a house from my grandmother who passed in 2021, I intend to renovate and rent out...
Replies
Views
Beware a little long. I served an electrical apprenticeship a long time ago, then went back to full time education immediately moving away from...
Replies
Views
My parents have been having trouble with their electrics recently. They had their house refurbished a year and a half ago and discovered some...
Replies
Views
Hi My consumer unit is located in the garage, the cables are currently clipped to a solid wall above the unit. I am considering putting the...
Replies
Views
Hi, we need some advice on our scenario with regards to our rewire plan. I will get this out of the way first... We are planning to put the house...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock