Discuss Consumer unit replacement in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, we have been asked to relocate a consumer unit however the meter cupboard will be on an outside wall 7m away from the consumer unit, the main switch is under 80amp, im just wanting some opinions on the way to overcome this, am I right in thinking I could run 16mm swa from the consumer unit, cleated to an outside wall, running to an adaptable weatherproof box situated next to the meter cupboard, then using Henley connector blocks, i could connect the swa to the tails coming from the meter box.

That makes things a lot easier then..
What is going where the old cu is located?
Can the isolator go there?
Its a temporary thing at the moment, the meter is being moved friday but for now until a few months down the line the cu is staying where it is, then eventually it will moved behind the meter cupboard, so really for now I need to connect the exsisting cu to the new mrter cupboard

So can you put an isolator (fused) behind the meter cupboard?
Then go from there in swa to cu

The meter boxes have knockouts in the bottom that can be reinstated later on..
I would come out of the bottom in trunking and then go bottom entry into an enclosure with the isolator inside.
We’re supposed to use designated entry points in the meter boxes

The meter boxes have knockouts in the bottom that can be reinstated later on..
I would come out of the bottom in trunking and then go bottom entry into an enclosure with the isolator inside.
We’re supposed to use designated entry points in the meter boxes
Ok thankyou for your help! Ill will get all the info needed tomorrow to be more certain and will post updates, i appreciate it

Ok thankyou for your help! Ill will get all the info needed tomorrow to be more certain and will post updates, i appreciate it
Hi I know it isnt
the dno will be coming tomorrow but im not sure if they will use a 100amp with 25mm tails or an 80amp, its more likely going to be a 100amp switch but as the job is temporary and the house load will not even exceed 80 amps let alone 100amps do you think it would be fine to connect a 16mm cable from the meter to the vonsumer unit even if the dno use 25mm tails or shall I use a 25mm cable too

Obviously once the job gets going in a few months i will upgrade the tails to 25mm once we move the consumer unit closer to the meter

That would make sense yes! Am I right in saying by using 16mm swa cable the fused isolator will be an 80amp fused switch?

No you are approaching this incorrectly, you don't pick a cable size then work backwards to the fuse size. You need to establish the design load and then work through the calculations to establish the correct fuse size then the cable size.

Reply to Consumer unit replacement in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock