Discuss Contactor for outside lights on a PIR - Opinion requested in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
I wondered what opinions would be on the following.

I have installed 2 20W LED floodlights which will be controlled by a PIR and a 3 position switch to override the function of the PIR.

The manual of the PIR seems to imply that if it used to control more than one light it should be via a contactor.

Is it simply good practice to introduce a contactor when installing multiple lights that will be controlled by a PIR, or would it simply be over kill in this case ?

What's the current/load rating of the PIR?

Most have maximum and minimum loads to operate correctly. Also some lights have inrush currents on start up which can also damage the PIR overtime.

TBH I don't see a problem with it controlling 40W without a contactor but the manufacturer should give some indication of its load switching limits.

Reply to Contactor for outside lights on a PIR - Opinion requested in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I've just changed the bulb in an outdoor PIR security floodlight (to LED). But the light stays on by default, and turns off when I go outside. I...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I have an outside light that is turned on with a switch from inside and would like to change it to a PIR version incorporating an...
Replies
Views
I have a baffling problem with a newly-installed PIR floodlight and I'd like advice from the forum as to whether it's defective (and should be...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I know this is very simple but I would like some advice please. I am installing a new circuit to feed 5 external floodlights. It is...
Replies
Views
Driven by the recent colossal hikes in the cost of electricity I hit upon the wizard wheeze of replacing some of the existing LED bulbs in our own...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock