Discuss Conversion to TNCS within property. A concern? And EICR code? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all

Have attached photo. Was inspecting property earlier in residential apartments and as you can see the supply has been converted to TNCS within the property and after the meter. This is the first time I have come across this before. I'm led to believe any TNCS conversion should be done before the meter as falls on suppliers side of responsibility. Would this be a concern to you? Would you code it?

Thanks

Attachments

• Conversion to TNCS within property. A concern? And EICR code? IMG-20201130-WA0000 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG-20201130-WA0000.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 96
I would speak to the supply authority as that does not look right.At you say the PME should be done at the cut out. Is that cable in metal conduit that has been cut off as for the EICR I would give it an FI at this stage

Looks like a metal consumer unit - was that recently changed?

Looks like a metal consumer unit - was that recently changed?
It was yes metal clad dual RCD. No company name on it and cpcs terminated via the sleeving so practically no copper making connection. Doubt highly done by registered spark. Think the supply set up has been like that for a while though

I'm guessing the supply is on the other side of the wall. It doesn't look too old to me from the dust on the terminal block and the debris from the hole made through the wall.

ESQCR s8(4)
A consumer shall not combine the neutral and protective functions in a single conductor
in his consumer’s installation.

And I think I'd have to C2 that.

ESQCR s8(4)
A consumer shall not combine the neutral and protective functions in a single conductor
in his consumer’s installation.

And I think I'd have to C2 that.
Although, having just thought about that one for a few minutes, it actually reads going the other way around - so going from seperate Neutral and EC to a CEN/PEN. This is also reinforced by 543.4 and GN8 says nothing. Which therefore means no code ?.

I'm also slightly confused, given that TN-S is relatively rare for domestics, as to how they've ended up with just LN in the first place. Definitely need some pics of the intake and meter to make sense of this.

I have seen this a few times in large blocks of flats where it’s been converted in the mains room and just done that way in the flats .
That's as part of a BNO system under different rules. Ryefield boards have a removable link in them between the incoming N and a PEN arrangement to create TN-C-S, the same as in a DNO PME head.

Around here if you find a DIY pme set up wpd will come and repair the tns earth if missing or damaged and sometimes replace the head. If you want one they charge unless it's easier for them. As long as there's a dno earth they have to maintain it.

Reply to Conversion to TNCS within property. A concern? And EICR code? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock