Discuss Cooker Switch Melting Delonghi in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I have EXACTLY the same problem as above! I have replaced my oven selector switch 3 times in the last year and the last one only lasted a month!, it has melted each time in exactly the same place as the previous post above, so it looks like I have to change the connector wire and the crimps attaching to the switch (again suggested above).
But my question is what sort of wire is needed and where would you buy the wire and crimps? Being a DIYer I’m not sure where to source these bits. I’ve got a new switch ready to go but no point replacing it without a new wire if this is part of the issueCooker Switch Melting Delonghi image - EletriciansForums.net

also check with manufacturer, see if there's a recall, seeing as 2 posters have both had the same problem.

Probably your best bet for a replacement crimp is to use one of there that can be done with a normal insulated crimp tool:

The red one will work if your cable is 1mm CSA, or the blue one if 1.5mm, if unsure get a couple of each and check when you strip the wire, if it fits the red one use it, otherwise blue! Get a proper ratchet crimp tool if you don't already have one, something like:

Or cheaper:
https://www.screwflix..com/p/crimping-tool-9/3137v

Last edited:
That’s great! Many thanks! So will I be ok using the existing wire or should I replace this too?
If the wire looks OK then just cut the old crimp off leaving as much conductor as possible, and crimp the new flag style terminal to it after stripping it carefully.
[automerge]1589626047[/automerge]
Let us know how you get on. As already mentioned, look for any recall info, etc, as it might have been a bad batch of switches or similar, but a push-on terminal that is not well connected can cause a fair amount of heat.

When I clipped the old spade connector off the wire it was obvious the wire was knackered, I clipped it back a bit more but the copper inside was still in bad shape. I got some heat resistant 3 core oven wire and took one of the wires out of this, and put the spade connectors on each end. Fitted the new switch and everything is working fine. Hopefully it lasts this time. Many thanks for your help

Reply to Cooker Switch Melting Delonghi in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock