Discuss Crimping 240v Twin and Earth - Safe?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Maybe I did jump to conclusions.

If I was after crimps I'd just grab the Screwfix/Toolstation catalogue and whip down to the local branch, but to be fair to Nicholas Owen, his profile says he's in Wales, where those places are apparently very few and far between!

As someone else has said, CPC is would be the best bet. Seeing as they charge a bit for delivery, a bulk order would probably be a good idea, maybe one of the trade packs with a few hundred of each type/size.

DNS1

Its Saturday and my nearest Screwfix and Toolstation is over 50 miles away!

I had a look, but when you search for crimps you have a few different ones come up and none of them have pictures.

All I asked is where he got his from as all I had up on Google was Maplin. Of course I looked on my usual sites including CPC but not knowing what to search for you get some wired results.

Anyway Im doing an order in the next few days with CPC so I will get them then

Try google 'cable ferrules' instead of crimps, you should get more accurate results.

We pay the equivalent of about 3 quid for a pack of 100 x 2.5mm uninsulated.

Do you mean these sjhall?

Crimping 240v Twin and Earth - Safe?? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Only problem I see with these is that they are not maintenance free are they and therefore they will need to be inspected wont they?
Correct me if I am wrong please

I cant quote this as I haven't looked, (sure it is in there) however I believe that 7671 says that if a connection has a fixing (i.e. choc block) it must be accessible so that rules that out.. Next is a crimp connection (suitably protected) would do this job... Just make sure that the crimps are copper (same as conductor) and you test the installation after.

Hi Mate, yes they are the ones, I thought you wanted to extend inside the Fuse board ..... I think Wago's are maintenance free in the right enclosure from what iv read on here ...... need to double check though.

Ste

These heat shrink butt splices are they suitable for 6mm shower cable?

I have looked at a few of them and they come up with 16A - fine for 2.5 T&E and 1.5 T&E

Of course you would get the correct size - i.e. 6mm one

To be honest, i've never noticed a current rating attached to crimp terminals. I would have thought that the rating would reflect the largest size of the cable, they have been manufactured to accommodate.

The heatshrink is 90c as, as far as i know, all heatshrink products are based on XLPE plastics, so far more suitable than standard 70c insulated crimp terminations. Also available, is low temp solder heatshrink butt connectors. ...There is also a combined crimp and solder variety of heatshrink terminations, that can combine the properties of both crimping and soldered jointing.

These heat shrink butt splices are they suitable for 6mm shower cable?

I have looked at a few of them and they come up with 16A - fine for 2.5 T&E and 1.5 T&E

Of course you would get the correct size - i.e. 6mm one

the yellow 6mm crimps are rated around 40A. if buying from cpc, make your order up to £50 ( ex. VAT) and it's then free delivery.

Thanks

I have made an order already costing over £100 with them so stuck them on the back of it - 4 different sizes and the crimping tool - they are not cheap!

Interesting reading through this so many against crimps? I crimp cables and have never really thought it was a bad practice or frowned upon? I usually crimp cables and then use self amalgamating tape to secure and protect the joint?
Is this deemed bad practice?

Crimps are bought without instructions but if you were to seek tech advice they would normally say its not for solid drawn cable, if you use a decent crimping tool it shapes the crimp so no metal fatigue is put on the crimp but for it to do its job the cable must also adapt to the crimping shape... this cant happen with solid core so NO! unless the crimp and also the crimping tool has been designed to do the job then stranded or fine stranded only.

This has always been a concern to me. No way will a standard ratchet crimping tool will form the crimp around a solid core. They are designed for stranded cores.
Look at the design of a crimping tool for large 4 sector solidal conductors, they form the crimp around the core.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I won't use crimps on solid core after seeing a lot of failures over the years (yes, properly done with a ratchet tool). The crimp simply doesn't form properly the way it does on stranded. IF you are going to use a crimp then go for "Ampliversal". They are the best I have found and have a serrated lining, tho not cheap.

Reply to Crimping 240v Twin and Earth - Safe?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock