Discuss Crimping 240v Twin and Earth - Safe?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Use a good ratchet crimper with good crimps on solid cores and you will have a sound permanent connection. The trick is to have a ratchet crimper that deforms the solid core within the crimp.

Note 2 on section 526.2 of BS7671 (aka 17th edition the wiring regs), which states: "Terminals without the marking R (only rigid conductor), F (only flexible conductor), S or Sol (only solid conductor) are suitable for the connection of all types of conductors

Note 2 on section 526.2 of BS7671 (aka 17th edition the wiring regs), which states: "Terminals without the marking R (only rigid conductor), F (only flexible conductor), S or Sol (only solid conductor) are suitable for the connection of all types of conductors
Welcome to th forum sizzler... to correct you; you need to read your regs quote again.its in reference to soldered connection, im confused to where your post is leading as the thread was discussing straight crimping.

Frankenstein along with this thread still lives. 2008 the thread started, why couldn’t it be left to rot?

Just keep firing up that re-animator and jump-starting this practically medieval thread....

Depending on the situation I'd use through crimps and heat-shrink as a 'get out of jail free card' as an absolute last resort, in preference to connector block.
It's not something I'd say is 'fine' though, just 'barely acceptable', and not in every situation.

Someone let @TonyMK11 know that the thread IS ALIVE!!!!
Saying that - when I started training and joined the forum, this was the very first question I had in my head and reading this gave me answers.

So have people's views changed at all on crimping?

Not really. Crimps that are unsuitable for solid conductors are still unsuitable for solid conductors. Unbranded crimps that aren't made to any particular specification still aren't made to any particular specification. And I still don't like through joints inside containment. More than once I've seen a large chunk of an installation put out of service after an overheated (i.e. bad) connection in one circuit burnt through the insulation of all the others sharing the containment. If you are going to splice a circuit in trunking the work has to be absolutely beyond reproach and I don't think wholesalers' own-brand bargain packs of crimps fitted with an unmatched, uncalibrated tool really cut the mustard.

What many people don't realise is that push connectors aren't a new fangled invention... The Germans have been using them since the 60's. Get fed up of hearing that only the good old choccy blocks can be trusted.

Reply to Crimping 240v Twin and Earth - Safe?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock