Discuss Customer not paying advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

shougal_88

I have completed work for a letting agency for a few years now. One of my recent jobs I carried out an EICR on a rented property which then failed on a number of inspections also a number of code 3 inspects. I then emailed an estimate to the letting company to then forward on to the landlord (estimate has 'all materials belong to contractor until final payment is made). The work was then given the go ahead to start. All remedials done and finished invoiced with 30days payment terms. 50days or so on and customer will not answer phone/txts/emails. Letting agent cannot get hold of landlord either. Plumber also in the same boat and is going down the small claims road, is this my only option?

thanks in advance

Who ordered the work to be undertaken? If it was the letting agency I'd be inclined to pursue them, and it's their debt to chase with the property owner

Sent from the moon using telepathy

it's the 21st century now, pete. wedon'tsendthe boys round anymore. in liverpool we send the girls round. far more scary..

If the letting agent collets the rent then they will be able to pay you, some times with this sort of thing other people are wating for money you just have to wait your time, used to get well pee off with this as the letting agent would get me to do work and then tell me could not pay till rent came in, then when the rent came in was told that they was outstanding invoices and will have to wait till next month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think any advice will help,until we know who authorized the work to commence. If it is a mixture of the letting agency,and the landlord...it may be tricky...

The key here is who ordered the work. If it was done verbally you could well bec on a sticky wicket.

Who is the invoice addressed to? How have you reminded them? And how many times?

It is the letting company who authorised the work to me via email. Generally the invoice is sent to them however on this particular job they asked for it to be sent direct to landlord aswel. I have sent the landlord a reminder email with invoice attached once due date had expired also a statement of monies owed a week after that.

It is the letting company who authorised the work to me via email. Generally the invoice is sent to them however on this particular job they asked for it to be sent direct to landlord aswel. I have sent the landlord a reminder email with invoice attached once due date had expired also a statement of monies owed a week after that.

so more questions.

How many days from the date on the invoice do you expect to get paid?
How long after the original date you sent the original invoice did you send the reminder?
Have you sent a reminder in the post ad well?
Has the landlord acknowledged your original invoice or reminder?

Remember, you may expect payment in 7 days, most landlords may pay you on 30, 45 or 60 days!

I'd start getting your ducks in a row. Who gave you the go-ahead? Was it in writing or by email? Hopefully it was. Also was there paperwork signed to say the job was completed? Do you have photos? Start getting your paperwork in order and start informing the relevant party of your intent to seek legal remedy..

Go online and get small claims court involved.
I done it recently customer owed me £74 kept saying she would send money and never did, it's more the principle as it was 120days overdue! Takes about 20mins to do and add the £25 cost to the bill plus interest. It will get them moving if they intend to pay

Go online and get small claims court involved.
I done it recently customer owed me £74 kept saying she would send money and never did, it's more the principle as it was 120days overdue! Takes about 20mins to do and add the £25 cost to the bill plus interest. It will get them moving if they intend to pay

This could be tricky as the way I read it the Lettings Agency authorised the work, but asked the for the Landlord to be sent the invoice.

They question here is WHY did they request this?

I would start by visiting the Lettings Agency.........

I do work for several letting agents, and - assuming the property is let - they pay according to the rent cycle - so typically it takes no more than about a month to get paid. The money is simply deducted from the rent before it is passed on to the landlord.

However, there are exceptions, e.g. one property I did some work at, the tenants paid 6 months in advance, so it could take that long to get paid. Plus if the property is vacant, then there is no rent coming in and the agent has to ask the landlord for the money.

I find it is very unusual to be asked to bill the landlord direct, and would wonder why that would be. For example, does the agent know there is no rental income arriving, and it will save them the bother of chasing a slow-to-pay landlord? Pretty much the only times I bill direct is when the landlord wants to bypass the agent (e.g. to costs), and the landlord has instructed me directly. I'd be suspicious e.g. is the landlord/agency relationship is breaking down.

I do find a certain percentage of landlords don't like having to spend any money on maintenance, I had one that managed to ignore urgent remedial work for close to 18 months, he just didn't engage with any of the correspondence that mentioned it, as if he hadn't received it. But that was a refusal to instruct the work to be done.

As mentioned, I'd talk to the agent and try to find out what is going on.

Last edited:

Reply to Customer not paying advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock