Discuss Dangerous Video Youtube won't remove: Join electrical cables the pretty way in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Came across these videos on youtube. Do you think this is safe? Reported many times myself but it is still there.
Perhaps if you agree you could report them as well.

Vid 1:

Vid 2:

Ironically they are promoting Safer Internet Day as well boasting about removing harmful content. Shame they ignore their reporting system. I hope no one gets hurt before it's removed.

that joint is probably acceptable in other places in the World.

It may have been a long day but what is wrong joining cables this way?... besides no heatshrink....

If you ever go to India you will see literally hundreds of bare cable joints like this hanging out of air con units or wall mounted fans

As others have said, nothing wrong with this method, I too was taught this method 40 years ago. compared to choc box connectors it's far superior, but a lot more time consuming.

Also, YouTube is global, so you will see working practices from around the world, I don't think it's for YouTube to take down a video on the say of someone from another country just because it's not practised in their country. Just as well really or there'd be no videos on ring circuits.

It pointless reporting it.
Youtube is Worldwide, not just for the U.K, that joint is probably acceptable in other places in the World.
Have you seen the Russian way using a power drill?

And just to note, that's how I was taught to join cables over 50 years ago, long before crimps were commonly available.
Me too I think they were called Marriage joints.

Quite a few countries joint cables by sticking all the cores in a drill and spinning them into a tight bunch and then zapping it with a welder

fascinating stuff

Neither is done properly, we had to seperate each wire then join like interlocking fingers, each side was then wrapped around like thisimages.jpeg
Known as a married joint and used for stranded cable, for solid cable you had to use the Britainnia joint.

Twisting it in a mess like that would earn you a slap!!

Neither is done properly, we had to seperate each wire then join like interlocking fingers, each side was then wrapped around like thisView attachment 64588
Known as a married joint and used for stranded cable, for solid cable you had to use the Britainnia joint.

Twisting it in a mess like that would earn you a slap!!
Thanks for posting . Yes that what we did at college all them
years ago ?

Well it seems like the majority of people here seem to think it's ok. I understand youtube is global, but that's exactly my point, what's to stop someone from the UK watching this and thinking it's safe to do at home?

Leaving a long length of bare conductor uninsulated for anyone to get a shock off, or then burying in a wall, possibly near some flammable material and then the wire overloading, over heating and causing a fire.

Just because it was deemed safe 50 years ago does it make it safe today?

Well it seems like the majority of people here seem to think it's ok. I understand youtube is global, but that's exactly my point, what's to stop someone from the UK watching this and thinking it's safe to do at home?

Leaving a long length of bare conductor uninsulated for anyone to get a shock off, or then burying in a wall, possibly near some flammable material and then the wire overloading, over heating and causing a fire.

Just because it was deemed safe 50 years ago, does it make it safe today? We're not allowed to leave any uninsulated cable outside of an enclosure or connection as a safety measure, why would this then be ok?

The video is highlighting a particular way of joining stranded conductors. It isn't really concerned with the insulation, installation, etc afterwards.

There are plenty of videos showing you how to do specific things, and a lot of them don't bother about the bits before and the bits afterwards.

Just because it was deemed safe 50 years ago does it make it safe today?

I didn't suggest leaving it bare was the norm, just the method of jointing.
I don't think that many people are stupid enough to think that the bare joint can be left or buried without some form of insulation.

In the case of fifty years ago it was with decent insulation tape, not the non stick variety that's fairly common today.

And you'll probably be shocked in 20 / 30 / 40 years time when people are amazed and possibly horrified at methods deemed safe and in common use today.

And I'll also add that where I originally worked, joints in cables in trunking or conduit were not usually permitted.
They were only as a temporary measure.
If a socket or switch needed moving a couple of feet and the cables were too short, even if it meant pulling out 90yds just to pull in 91 yds that's what we did.

Last edited:
Just to bring it up again....

There are many videos on YouTube that are much worse than this.... certain electricians doing certain things that are not, or have ever been acceptable. Many threads on that topic.

Reply to Dangerous Video Youtube won't remove: Join electrical cables the pretty way in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net