Discuss dangers on type c for domestic help in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

scott g

im doing inspection on flats and ive came across
all 61900 type c rcbo ive recommended changing to type b
due to type c for inductive loads . could cause overload
what is the general opinon on type c on domestic?

Hey Scott.

I'm a little confused by your post mate, a C type merely copes better with a high start-up current than a B type, and as it's an RCBO the breaker type isn't really an issue.

I believe wylex and crabtree only make their RCBO's in C type.

Can you elaborate on your "could cause overload" statement please.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I take it you mean 61009?

As long as your Zs is within the lower limits of a type C then i dont see a problem at all.

In fact, some manufacturers dont even make B type RCBO's.

We only use C type when we are dealing with machinery or motors, due to the higher start up current being drawn for that split second, not heard of em in domestic situation unless they have made a boo boo.

We only use C type when we are dealing with machinery or motors, due to the higher start up current being drawn for that split second, not heard of em in domestic situation unless they have made a boo boo.

Our house has just been rewired by southern electric, with all type c rcbo's and nic'ed... Ther's nothing wrong with type c breakers so-long as the zs is still met..

I wonder why they do that Dan, Agree with the zs part, but i would bet that the majority of domestic premises are type b, don,t you think.

I wonder why they do that Dan, Agree with the zs part, but i would bet that the majority of domestic premises are type b, don,t you think.

I also agree with you that the majority of domestic are on type b breakers, but really does it matter type b or c?, i don't really think it matters, and as far as a danger - well, i dont think so ...

i think for all of us who understand that type c have half the max permitted eli of a type b it doesnt matter, but not everyone realises this and that is where the risk is,( know your max eli and all is well)

Chaps,

The MAJORITY of manufacturers do not even make B type RCBO's as there is no real reason to.

The C type covers all installations, provided that the EFLI is within the maximum permitted. (or 80% corrected)

hi there

type c are used a lot in some lighting appilcations such as display lighting, air con etc but they are also used to give a bit more before all the lovely 3 kw fan heaters are connected in the office when the heating breaksdown lol:rolleyes:

cheers

Hi

Am I reading this correctly?

Page 44 OSG table 7.1.

On a ring circuit for a TNS system, No RCD, 2.5/1.5 T+E
A "type C rcbo" is not permitted ZS being the prohibitive factor?

Thanks

Thats what i read on 32A ring not permitted by ZS but ok on 6A lighting same for RCD & NON-RCD

Its not a case of needing one its a case that some manufacturers dont do b types so it would be useful if a c type was permitted.......

for instance I am doing a kitchen and the location of the CU makes it desirable to put in a RFC just for the kitchen..the previous electrician decided to put in a 16th split board and put the only ring and both lighting circuits on the rcd side. (niceic registered and told the customer he had done it to 17th regs????) so all lights and power on same rcd....I thought one solution would be to put kitchen ring on uprotected side on rcbo, but board is wylex and the b types rcbo's are hard to get hold of
and as discussed it appears that c types are not permitted for this type of circuit:confused:

You will also notice that it does not permit C type MCB's either although this is mainly for TNS systems.

Im trying to find info in the BRB with regards to this.

It just doesnt seem right to me.

Well looking in the BRB it gives EFLI values for type C MCB's and RCBO's so im not really sure what the OSG is on about.

Reply to dangers on type c for domestic help in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock