Discuss Dimmer and PIR controlled lights. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope everyone is well!

I currently have 5 downlights in my soffits controlled by a dimmer switch and a PIR security light on a timer switch and the PIR also feeds a small light beside the front door, I’m wondering if I could use the SL from the PIR to turn on the down lights as well ?

I’m wondering if it will affect the dimmer in anyway and I assume that if I have the lights switched on at the dimmer to a low setting, when the PIR turns on, it would turn the lights to their full brightness?

Currently I have a large wiska box with the feed from the DB, SL from the dimmer and SL from the PIR in (also all the relevant N and CPC) I’m wondering if I can just use the SL from PIR and just move it from the door light and put into the soffit light circuit?

I hope that makes sense, I feel like I’ve been rambling. ?

should be a simple job. as long as the PIR does not conflict with the dimmer.

should be a simple job. as long as the PIR does not conflict with the dimmer.

In what sense?

My worry is that if I leave my lights on overnight and the PIR switches on, is that then going to send a current back to the dimmer and if so, would that cause any damaged to it or even the other way round, having the dimmer on is the sending current to the L2 in the PIR. ?‍♂️

assume your are sending a L to the light with the PIR. the dimmer is used to having L on it's output, so will not be adversly affected.

assume your are sending a L to the light with the PIR. the dimmer is used to having L on it's output, so will not be adversly affected.
Yes, it’s the timeguard led PIR with dual heads. It has a L,N,CPC and L2 for additional lights and from there I would connect into the wagos which connect the SL to the soffit lights.

so if the dimmer is on low and current from the PIR gets introduced to the circuit, I assume the lights will go to their full power?

Yes, it’s the timeguard led PIR with dual heads. It has a L,N,CPC and L2 for additional lights and from there I would connect into the wagos which connect the SL to the soffit lights.

so if the dimmer is on low and current from the PIR gets introduced to the circuit, I assume the lights will go to their full power?
Yes. And if you put the dimmer on it would back feed the PIR floodlight as well.

You would need to take a cable from L2 on the PIR to the dimmer switch. Then at the dimmer the SL for the soffit lights would go in C, Feed would go in L1 and the cable from the PIR in L2

Yes. And if you put the dimmer on it would back feed the PIR floodlight as well.

You would need to take a cable from L2 on the PIR to the dimmer switch. Then at the dimmer the SL for the soffit lights would go in C, Feed would go in L1 and the cable from the PIR in L2

ok, so that would mean that when I turn the dimmer off, I essentially turn the downlights on but their control will be via PIR and they will remain at their dimming level I set at the dimmer?

ok, so that would mean that when I turn the dimmer off, I essentially turn the downlights on but their control will be via PIR and they will remain at their dimming level I set at the dimmer?
Yes. If you wanted on/off control a 1 way switch would need to be put in series with the dimmer and the SL to the soffit lights taken through it.

This could possibly be easily achieved by using grid modules or click minigrid on the existing dimmer backbox. It could end up being a slightly confusing setup

Yes, but the reverse will also be true that the floodlight will be connected to the dimmer output whne the PIR is off, and the floodlight almost certainly won't be designed to be connected to a dimmer.

This could be overcome by using a relay to bring the soffit lights on at full brightness whne the PIR switches on but return them to the dimmer when the PIR switches off.

Reply to Dimmer and PIR controlled lights. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net