Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So they only instruct after an installation has been completed and upon inspection, if one is carried out, not on the existing installation prior to work starting, which is how I read your post 5278, thanks for clarifying that point.
Yes they only inspect after by way of audit. Me as the installer is mandated to check prior to installation. If upon audit they deem the existing installation has work that needs to be rectified then yes they do instruct it is done.

I know of 2 people who were told to liaise with the DNO to get a cutout up graded and they also had to upgrade the tails.

They’re not expecting a full EICR. But they are expecting the installation to be in a suitable safe condition for the charger to be added.

Also as an installer you have to be able to say yes to the statement in the ENA form that says
"I confirm that the existing installation is in accordance with the current edition of the Building Regulations Part P (Electrical Safety – Dwellings) and in full compliance with the requirements of the current edition of the UK wiring regulations (BS7671)"

C2 Codes are not in accordance with either part P or 7671.

Last edited:
Regarding the above.
Somehow, I'm not seeing much wrong with this. Different, I know, but seems like a version of the old town council 'clerk of works' type system, making sure that things are done well. The main difference being that the upgrades necessary aren't involved in the original job requirements or specification......directly.
It seems like another way of putting the responsibility onto the contractor, as per usual, then providing an inspection system to check all is done correctly.
I used to get situations, whilst pricing for 'off the cuff' council jobs, where I would be expected to notify if there were any other issues with the existing installation and adjust the price accordingly.
I don't know much about it but maybe OZEV is going back to being more thorough about the whole thing....and maybe upsetting some by seemingly being a bit old fashioned.

Note. Then, all council employed electrical contractors had to be NICEIC members..................when it really meant something to be one.

Last edited:
Regarding the above.
Somehow, I'm not seeing much wrong with this. Different, I know, but seems like a version of the old town council 'clerk of works' type system, making sure that things are done well. The main difference being that the upgrades necessary aren't involved in the original job requirements or specification......directly.
It seems like another way of putting the responsibility onto the contractor, as per usual, then providing an inspection system to check all is done correctly.
I used to get situations, whilst pricing for 'off the cuff' council jobs, where I would be expected to notify if there were any other issues with the existing installation and adjust the price accordingly.
I don't know much about it but maybe OZEV is going back to being more thorough about the whole thing....and maybe upsetting some by seemingly being a bit old fashioned.

Note. Then, all council employed electrical contractors had to be NICEIC members..................when it really meant something to be approved.
I agree and personally don’t have an issue with my work being checked. I am far from perfect and quite happy to be shown areas I need to improve. I like to think my work is of a good standard. But always willing to learn from the more experienced

I’m actually glad they’re doing it as it was becoming a race to the bottom with EV installs.

Customers naturally want the cheapest option possible for the same equipment. But when you have installers just throwing them onto installations in that condition, often way cheaper than I ever could as they were contracted by a big firm. Then it was affecting the quality of the workmanship and in some cases the safety.

Eg this one. Which was first installed by a so called qualified and competent installer on a 115v commando with the inlet on the supply side. So exposed live pins.

E6525041-A580-48F0-B05A-86A25AE0A085.jpeg

Then when it was ‘rectified it still wasn’t done correctly as it wasn’t using an interlocked socket which is mandatory in a residential setting.

4256E937-2B49-47EE-8837-E5A4FB866D91.jpeg

But the customer saved £200 by using this particular installer.

This is another one I found on an EICR that I need to sort.

Tails are ran in SWA to the CU which in a straight line from that position is 4.5m. So will likely be circa 6-8m with the routing. The CU is in the airing cupboard which is in the middle of the upstairs with a bedroom either side and it’s at the back of the house. The meter is on the front left side of the house.

Yet there’s no OCPD for them apart from the DNO fuse. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I do wonder who designs these things at times.

I‘m hoping there’s enough slack in the cable to re-gland and terminate inside a metal clad switched fuse. Can see this being a fun one to do. 🙄

28BF6D59-7313-462A-A36E-3A1E34D6B452.jpeg

That will indeed be interesting.
Is the angled piece of board the head is on attached to anything?!
Not many small switched fuses have side entry.
I think I’d be trying to terminate the SWA shorter and crimp onto tails, then use one of those Lewden fuses designed for tails in and out as they aren’t that big. It could replace the isolator too.

That will indeed be interesting.
Is the angled piece of board the head is on attached to anything?!
Not many small switched fuses have side entry.
I think I’d be trying to terminate the SWA shorter and crimp onto tails, then use one of those Lewden fuses designed for tails in and out as they aren’t that big. It could replace the isolator too.

I’m going to remove the isolator and put in a metal clad switch fuse. Something like this.

I can hoped drill a hole in the side of that to gland the SWA. Just may have to crimp to extend the SWA inside. But that will be double heatshrink covered if I do. Just need to hope it’s not a slide on cover that the sides come away with. Otherwise I’ll need a rethink.

Although I have a feeling that SWA may only be 16mm

I can’t really crimp it to use a KMF as I need to terminate the SWA into something.

The angled board is fastened the the back board.

Seems the fuse box version won’t work.
CE3EB346-4DAD-4C88-8E2C-3F23D5CAC5BC.jpeg

So will have to use this instead.

Seems the fuse box version won’t work.
Yes, that is what I meant by most of them not having side entry.
The Chint idea looks possible.
One possible idea/suggestion. Replace the butchered Wiska box, gland the SWA to this, slide behind the angled board and change to tails inside the Wiska box, and then use a KMF?

Yes, that is what I meant by most of them not having side entry.
The Chint idea looks possible.
One possible idea/suggestion. Replace the butchered Wiska box, gland the SWA to this, slide behind the angled board and change to tails inside the Wiska box, and then use a KMF?

But isn’t a wiska only rated at max 57a?

So I’d either have to stick a Henley inside or crimp and find a different 100amp rated enclosure?

Not electrical. But the award for this years plumber of the year goes to….

89AF1A9C-F3E9-44A9-9756-8092BE6A877D.jpeg

Currently doing an EICR on the same property and the first thing I see (after nearly tripping over the plumbing) as I walk in the garage where the CU is located. But it’s ok as it’s above head height….. 🤔

27C99609-A6C5-459A-8EB3-B843347069FA.jpeg

This is also ok in the bedroom as they know to hold it as they plug/unplug stuff

ECAF73F7-FE2C-420F-980C-53AC6B4470C1.jpeg

Seems the fuse box version won’t work. View attachment 94840

So will have to use this instead.

try the wylex one. I always use these. Really robust and side entry possible.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock