Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

^^^^^ so not only has a neat installation Benn made rough, but was that RCD needed for fault protection? Looks like a TT system to me!
Sy
Oops just looked again and PME I take it from the second Henley/ service blocks.
You were right the first time it's TT, the meter man removed the Rcd being used for fault protection.

Is it common for meter fitters to remove components which fall outside the scope of their work?
Had one yesterday where I had fitted new cu and isolator a few months ago.
Meter man came to put in a smart meter and replaced the new Wylex rec2 telling the customer that the regs have changed so needs replacing with an eon labeled one.
Needless to say he took the wylex one with him for I assume safe disposal on eBay 🙄

Last edited:
Had one yesterday where I had fitted new cu and isolator a few months ago.
Meter man came to put in a smart meter and replaced the new Wylex rec2 telling the customer that the regs have changed so needs replacing with an eon labeled one.
Needless to say he took the wylex one with him for I assume safe disposal on eBay 🙄

At least he left a new one, regardless of whether it was through idiocy or self gain.

This may have already done the rounds but perhaps a reminder to some of the ingenuity of your average sparks!, using a cardboard box as an enclosure! Lots of exposed basic insulation too!

1705242171812.png

that's got "builder" written all over it.

partly because of the ---- show of an installation, and partly because of the fact that the instructions haven't been followed, read or even moved from the box.

as above , that has 'builders wiring' written all over it

i don't imagin the rcd is fixed to anything, just the cable strain holding it in situ

Got a call to look at lights flickering/not working sometimes. Thought I'd start at the consumer unit, took the lid off and was greeted with this! Note only one conductor is clamped in the terminal of the left hand ring, and the main neutral from the second RCD to the right hand neutral bar was also undone. There were other problems with the lights including loose connections at wago connectors where 2 or 3 conductors hand be connected to a single port.
dark hager.jpg
hager.jpg

I got called to a fairly straightforward case - "when I turn on the outside light it trips the RCD".
The before L+N-> E IR test was 0.8 Mohms. I showed the customer, explained bare minimum was effectively 2 (or 1 if you want to argue) and now we'd disconnect the light and see what it jumped to. "It shouldn't be the light, I bought it new and fitted it myself". Ok, let's see.

Ah, factory fitted flex removed, T&E all the way to the light.... the problem wasn't exactly hard to identify:
1705430667404.png

Snip. >299 Mohms. New joint box. New light.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock