Currently reading:
Does a 32amp distribution circuit wired in SWA to a sub board need RCD protection ?

Discuss Does a 32amp distribution circuit wired in SWA to a sub board need RCD protection ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
For context i am in my 2nd year in college and my head is going round in circles a question in my project for which i need to select the right protective devices for :
A 32A distribution circuit from the main board to supply summerhouse will have a four-way SP-N distribution board fitted supplied by a 3-core thermoplastic SWA cable clipped direct. In the main board all the other circuits are on RCBOs.
I'm pretty sure I can't have a RCBO feeding another RCBO because of discrimination , and I think because the supply is wired in SWA that the distribution circuit doesn't need RCD protection .If I am correct in thinking this could someone give me the reason to why the circuit being wired in SWA means no rcd protection is needed
What I have done for this question is a 32A MCB in the main board for this distribution circuit feeding the summerhouse board and in the summerhouse I have put RCBOs in that four-way board- Is this correct ?
I also had another thought that I could do a 32A RCBO in the main board for this distribution circuit feeding the summerhouse board and then have just MCBs in the 4 way - board
I am quite confused about this and have been looking through section 5 of the regs but the words and the way the regs describe things don't make things crystal clear to me

It’s obviously frustrating NOT to be issued with enough information for your paperwork test scenario.! But that’s probably as it’s not what their look for from you.
Start thinking about different value types of RCBOs ??? What does that ‘Letter’ before the amp rated number mean. or B32 C32 D32.

Reply to Does a 32amp distribution circuit wired in SWA to a sub board need RCD protection ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock