Discuss domestic electrical installation certificate?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

KFORDHUNTER

Just a few questions about some of the sections.

1.presence of earthing arrangements for combined protective and functional purposes? EXAMPLE PLEASE.

2.electrical seperation? EXAMPLE PLEASE.

3.if i can't inspect anything do i just put n/a in the box, such as that cables are run in correct zones?

Help on this subject appreciated please.

Hello Kfordhunter
i'll do my best to answer your question mate
1. I think your 1st question is refering to.. e,g, the small cream cable you sometimes see on pipework which is part of the telephone systems (functional earth)

2.electrical seperation is a double wound transformer and an example would be a shaver socket.

3. n/a in boxes........ if its a D.I.E.Cert you should have put YOUR cables in prescribed zones so its a tick in the box. If its a P.I.R how can you possibly know where the cables are? And the NICEIC etc know this. You've just gotta do the best you can and be seen to be trying! but if you can't tick the box...well you can't tick the box!
Hope that helps a bit.........

Mark

Thanks for the reply mate, very helpful, the reason i was a sking is i am doing a board change, and although i will be replacing the board i will not be adding or altering any of the existing wiring, so i would think putting n/a in the boxes relating to the visual inspection of any existing cable routes is the right thing to do, judging by your answer on the combined protective and functional earth i would say that is normally an n/a as well.

Could anyone else think of anymore domestic examples of a double wound transformer apart from a shaver socket.

morning mate........ the tick boxes are not quite as bad as they seem. If can answer why you have ticked a box if asked then your fine mate
example "why did you tick the double insulation box?"
you'd anwers "because some of the light fittings are class 2"

So if you see a shaver socket, tick the electrical seperation box. Then you can tell the NICEIC or whoever asks, your reason.

They just dont want "sparkies" copying the tick sheets from previous tests without understanding the boxes.

Cheers Mark

And board changes now take longer to do the tests on than to change! and the customer has a screwfix catalogue in his hand with a £40 consumer unit on special with a free set of screwdrivers.

He wants to know why you're charging £300 when he thinks you can swap it in an hour!........ mmmmmmm

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to domestic electrical installation certificate?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock