Discuss Down lights and transformers in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi , just looking for some advice on some downlighting and where I stand , a client has provided me with 4 transformers with thermal cut out for there 4 down lighters which are not working , upon inspection of the 4 the down lighters themselves are not fire rated (ground floor flat) (2 story building) , I've reccomended replacing the spot lights to fire rated ones but the tennant declines , where do I stand in just replacing the transformers them selves ? Am I liable for the spot lights that i have changed the transformers on??? Note : no signs of thermal damage on the spot lights , no signs of thermal damage to the cable , no insulation covering the spot light and a gap of roughly 5 inches between plasterboard and floor above (wood floor above)
and the spot lights are in the bedroom, bathroom and 1 in the hallway.
Thanks

I would change the lamps to GU10 LEDs and scrap the transformers...
I agree, however I'd also replace the down-lighters. Fire-rated GU10 down-lighters are so cheap (even fore big brand names) that it seems silly not to.

Surely it's up to the landlord ...
Also agree, the landlord holds the responsibility and will most likely go ahead with changing the down-lighters for fire-rated ones, small price to pay for peace of mind.

I actually did a job just like this recently, in a owned house rather than a rented flat however. The customer was complaining that their existing "down-lighters would get very hot and the bulbs would fall out, smashing on the floor". I removed all the existing lamps and transformers, changing them for fire-rated GU10 LED down-lighters which where really good value-for-money (LAP brand), didn't get hot, and saved a fortune on their electricity bill while also being safer.

Last edited:

Reply to Down lights and transformers in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net