Discuss Earth not connected on a socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MikeeF

DIY
Reaction score
I was going to swap a socket in my house for a socket with USB connection. I started to remove the socket and noticed that both earth wires from both cables (part of a ring main) are wired into the metal back box and no earth connections into the actual socket see photo. Now I'm sure this is incorrect and the earth wires should be connected to the socket? The house is 2 years old. Thanks MikeEarth not connected on a socket 20221112_191220 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
That is definitely incorrect however it would have an earth connection once screwed back in place but this may be tenuous. Both of those earths need disconnecting to the socket front plate. It is essential the other sockets are checked.

That is definitely incorrect however it would have an earth connection once screwed back in place but this may be tenuous. Both of those earths need disconnecting to the socket front plate. It is essential the other sockets are checked.
Thanks. I will move the earth's to the socket. Luckily I distributed have anything plugged in that socket.

25mm box where there appears to be plenty of room for a 35mm!
A good electrician would also add a wire between the socket earth terminal and the terminal on the box.

25mm box where there appears to be plenty of room for a 35mm!
A good electrician would also add a wire between the socket earth terminal and the terminal on the box.
I wouldn't.

Is that socket on the picture a USB already?
This square part here?
Earth not connected on a socket 253E87B9-ECDD-4BC2-AE7E-9B38E3D99EE0 - EletriciansForums.net

I’m with Westy.
Check all your sockets. In fact… check everything. 2 years is still under the NHBC warranty period… although that’s not always worth the paper it’s written on.

Look out for missing brown sleeving behind lightswitches.
And loose cables.

Please isolate any circuit before taking fronts off

Might be interesting to see the consumer unit,

Is that socket on the picture a USB already?
This square part here?
View attachment 103607

I’m with Westy.
Check all your sockets. In fact… check everything. 2 years is still under the NHBC warranty period… although that’s not always worth the paper it’s written on.

Look out for missing brown sleeving behind lightswitches.
And loose cables.

Please isolate any circuit before taking fronts off

Might be interesting to see the consumer unit,
No it's not a usb. Yes I will be checking all sockets now.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Earth not connected on a socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock