Discuss Earthing and Battery supplied Inverters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

When I heard reports on the radio of people not being able to run their gas central heating because of a power cut, it got me thinking. Is there any reason a gas boiler couldn't be run on an inverter and a battery?

I was thinking there might be a potential issue with some ac making it's way onto the grid through water and gas bonding and the PEN connection at the cut out if the property has a TNCS supply. What's your thoughts please?

In theory, yes an inverter will run a boiler.
particular care must be taken to ensure separation from the grid supply, just the same as any other form of backup generation.

As above, no problem if suitable transfer switch (manual or automatic) is used, no difference between TN-C-S and TN-S supplies as there will be no connection between the two energy sources.

You would need to consider whether the system is safe to run as IT on the inverter (most small inverters are intended for a single piece of equipment floating WRT earth) or whether you need to deliberately make it TN, and therefore also the need for independent earth reference electrode for the inverter as you may not rely on a supplier's earthing facility if not using that supply.

I am personally a fan of running boiler from a dedicated 13A socket.
makes it an easy job to plug it into an extension lead from generator etc if power to property is turned off.

as above, earthing arrangements need to be considered when introducing a new power source.
many boilers need the N to be at the same potential as earth so the single wire flame detection works correctly.

I am personally a fan of running boiler from a dedicated 13A socket.
makes it an easy job to plug it into an extension lead from generator etc if power to property is turned off.

as above, earthing arrangements need to be considered when introducing a new power source.
many boilers need the N to be at the same potential as earth so the single wire flame detection works correctly.

My combi is on a 13A plug(top). Unfortunately I don't have a generator!

I didn't know that. Thanks. So would there be a problem with the flame detection with a TT earthing arrangement?

problem with the flame detection with a TT earthing arrangement?

A generator supply will never normally be TT, it will be IT (floating) or TN-S (neutral earthed at source and cabled separately to the load.)

A TT sytem is one where the neutral is earthed at source, but the earth is not run as a cable from source to installation, so the installation also needs to be earthed by a rod.

That was the case with my boiler
Sorry I misread TT and read IT, as is often the case with small portable generators.

Reply to Earthing and Battery supplied Inverters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock