Discuss Earthing and RCDs in two wire system countries. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nannoo

Hi all. I hope it's not rude to post a question straight away ?

I've been living in Cambodia now for several years. There's recently been a lot of guys from the U.K coming over and setting up home.
The electrics here are sketchy but functional. Polarity is hit and miss, no earthing and generally one breaker (mcb) running several circuits.
Where would you stand on supplying an installation with an earth from a TT system. Driving a spike supplying a 100ma RCD, supplying a 30ma rcd at the installation ?

Thanks for any replies, I'm well out of touch with the technical aspect of this question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard, without knowing more about the supply system I'm reluctant to advise mate.

Do you have a permanant supply coming from an earthed transformer somewhere near you?
If so then it's going to be the same theory as a UK TT nice low, stable Ra. S type RCD etc etc

Hi Trev,

Thanks for the reply. It's a two wire, 220v 50 hz supply. Sorry for the lack of details. It's generated by diesel generators, and as such suffers from quite large voltage irregularities.

I'll do a little more research and fill in the details after I've tried speaking with the electrical authority.

Hi Trev,

Thanks for the reply. It's a two wire, 220v 50 hz supply. Sorry for the lack of details. It's generated by diesel generators, and as such suffers from quite large voltage irregularities.

I'll do a little more research and fill in the details after I've tried speaking with the electrical authority.

God, ...You must be way out in the sticks!! lol!!

Would the generators have an earthed neutral I wonder?

A neutral physically connected to earth by a rod?

I remember Marvo wrote a post for a guy living in Romania or Bulgaria where he advised to put a big rod in at the origin of supply to the property and then connect the neutral to it.

Then he said to run a CPC around the property and join the CPC to the neutral at the origin of the supply where the rod is so everything is tied down to earth via the rod, the neutral and the CPC, a kind of DIY TN-C-S with a grounded neutral at the property.

I think that's how he explained it.

Edit:
http://www.electriciansforums.net/n...901-unusual-foreign-electrics.html#post479766

Last edited:
Hi all. I hope it's not rude to post a question straight away ?

I've been living in Cambodia now for several years. There's recently been a lot of guys from the U.K coming over and setting up home.
The electrics here are sketchy but functional. Polarity is hit and miss, no earthing and generally one breaker (mcb) running several circuits.
Where would you stand on supplying an installation with an earth from a TT system. Driving a spike supplying a 100ma RCD, supplying a 30ma rcd at the installation ?

Thanks for any replies, I'm well out of touch with the technical aspect of this question.

I would suggest you visit this forum:

Do it yourself housing forum - Thailand Forum

Now it is for Thailand but so far as I can tell you roughly share the same system.

A chap called Crossy Crossy - Viewing Profile - Thailand Forum will be able to help you.

He is from UK but is living in Thailand and is very knowledgeable when it comes to Generators.

Regards.

Thanks a lot for the links and information StuSpiers, they're very useful. Much appreciated. I'll have a good ferret around.

All the best.

Reply to Earthing and RCDs in two wire system countries. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock