Search the forum,

Discuss Earthing pme in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sammyhop

I have just done my first mains change over and the supplier installed pme but did not provide an earth. There is an earth terminal on the cut out but there is no way of getting a cable in to it. Not sure what I should do. Any ideas?

Although PME has been supplied by the DNO, depending what arrangement you had with them when asking for the work to be done, you may have to go to your supplier and request a PME connection ( more cost). If series 7 cut out...plastic cover have pre- marked holes which are drilled out for the Earthing conductor. Electricians are not supposed to drill them out. Others here may advise you a lot better than me, as I've been out of the game too long.

I haven't got a picture but there is a small section on the side that you could get a cable through if it was drilled out. I didn't want to do drill it as I was pretty sure I'm not allowed to. Would there be no other way of earthing it without calling the suppliers back out

What was the earthing system before the DNO changed the service head?? If their was a an existing earth point then the DNO are duty bound to maintain that earth provision.

When you say there is an earth terminal on the cut-out, are you talking about a fixed external earth terminal?? If so, this will be internally connected to the cut-out ''N'' block. I only ask, because this has come up before, where the OP didn't realise this....

They said they were supplying pme, yeah the earthing terminal shared with the neutral block. I can see that there is the opportunity to but earth wires in the side of this terminal but the outer plastic casing has no pre drilled holes in it

I'm not really sure what your saying here?? Is there an earth terminal block on the exterior of this cut-out or not?? If there is, that is your PME earth connection. It'll be internally connected to the neutral block via a sliding brass link bar.

The earthing block is inside the cut out. But there are no holes in the exterior plastic casing to get a cable in to the earthing terminal

The DNO is supposed to connect that - not you. They sometimes won't connect if they are not happy that everthing comply with the requirements for having pme. i.e. No main bonding in place or wrong size. Or no 16mm main eathing conductor into MET ready for them to connect.

Call back the DNO and get them to confirm that;

1. The supplied service cut-out is actually connected to a PME service (Just because it's a PME head does not mean a PME connection is present)
  2. The date they will return and comply with the Law and the regulations by providing an adequate earthing point for the installation or provide you with written confirmation that have supplied an underground TT system you need to Rod..

Without pictures it is virtually impossible for anyone to really give you a definitive answer...Haven't you got a smart phone?

Oh my God, seriously?

Slide the front off the 'neutral' side of the head, by the main fuse.

You will notice on the top of the head, next to where the neutral goes in, there is a little knock out. Knock it out.

Stick your cheese and onion in. You will probably need a hex hey to do up the terminals.

PME doesn't have a seperate terminal for earth, hence Terra Neutral Combined S​eperate

I have just done my first mains change over and the supplier installed pme but did not provide an earth. There is an earth terminal on the cut out but there is no way of getting a cable in to it. Not sure what I should do. Any ideas?

So how have you provided earthing to your new CU...or is it not yet in service? And what was the earthing to the previous CU?

Amazed at what some people on here don't know, and I'm not just talking about the OP.

What’s even worse are people that make assumptions without the full facts.

Do we know what the supply is? Nothing the OP has said indicates a definitive earthing category.
The same head can be used for TT which would account for NO EARTH PROVIDED!

If it definately is a PME just knock them out and connect it up, you could of done it in the time it's took me to write this. I'm sure the DNO would not be too happy coming back to knock the knock out for you.

Reply to Earthing pme in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back