Currently reading:
Earthing pme

Discuss Earthing pme in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not on the new style PME heads you don't, and that's what he's describing. But it doesn't matter anyway because there are knockouts for cable access and for screw tightening.

So Rocker, if I said all the crocodiles in the swamp are friendly, would you believe me?

You’re a bloody fool if you did!

How many more times, get the DNO to confirm and put right.

as post #31, you have to pull the fuse to release the cover over the N and E terminals, so it's pull it and face the possible consequences or get DNO to fit an earth tail.

Hi Tel don't know if you had them back in the 1920s but the new (light grey) heads don't require removal of the service fuse for access to the neutral/earth terminals, you can just slide them open wioth a bit of jiggery pokery, no screws included. It doesn't matter anyway, though, because you have one knock out in the top for your cable to go into, and two knock outs in the front to tighten your screws. I tend to slide the front off, though, because you can terminate into 5/screws, just to make sure it's still standing after a nuclear attack!

PS I was joking about the 1920s. I realise you're more of a 40's guy lol

I note we haven’t had any input from the OP regarding confirmation.

The alligators have probably eaten him because he didn’t eer on the side of caution.

Wow don't some people get tetchy over simple things. I thought sparkies were supposed to stick together and fight the overpaid, underworked gas geezers. Surely a visual on the Neutral Earth strap would confirm PME or just a good old fashioned Earth Loop Test ?? It all comes down to morals, either order some seals and pliers or get confirmation. (sometimes depends on your Boss too) Life's too short to worry about trivia !

The light grey cut outs being mentioned here are series 7 cut outs, in my experience working for a DNO previously, S7 cut outs were used where the supply was intended to be TNCS, however if the DNO has not put a PME label on the cutout, then it cannot be and must not be assumed to be TNCS, as there are reasons they haven't done it, and as the S7 comes with a pme sticker it hasn't been missed off because they didn't have one.
Only confirmation from western power or similar will confirm supply type.
if the supply is TNCS, then on the right hand side you can knock through the blank allowing connection and drill a couple of small holes in the front to access the screws.
the neutral cover shouldn't be waggled out with jiggery pokery, as it is supposed to be held in with a screw, behind the main fuse

The cut out does have a pme sticker on and has the knockouts on the front and side. Am I allowed to knock these out and install a earth cable or do they need to be called out again to do it themselves. Please advise as I'm still not sure

What aren't you sure about?? Whether to have you're arse covered by calling the DNO to complete the work, or to leave yourself exposed, if something goes wrong when you interfere with the DNO's sealed property and making a PME earthing connection??

Not sure if I can drill the knockouts myself and install the earth wire, or get the DNO out to do it as I imagine that would cost the customer again

I want to see a picture of the "NEW" Service heads that dosent need the Fuse removed so the screw can be undone to acsess the neutral/earth block. Ive never seen one but someone here is pretty sure they exist.... please post a picture

The only series 7 I've come across, have the MEC coming from the bottom of the head next to the N tail - and you have to pull the main fuse to access the connector. And you would be daft in my opinion to try to drill holes or interfere with it - CALL the DNO!

Reply to Earthing pme in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock