Discuss EICR and unnecessary work? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I will be renting out next year and have already decided, no matter what property i rent out, it will have at least a whole house RCD, 240V smoke alarms and a CO alarm.

In my view anything less, then the landlord is not fit to rent out, as this stuff is so cheap compared to a weeks rent.

If i was doing the EICR it would be a C2 for any issue with earthing or RCD protection. Hence un-satisfactory, so best not to call me

Thanks for all your replies even if one or two assumptions have been made. I sometimes post on this forum before I hire anyone if I am unsure about anything as it is far better to know a little of what i'm talking about beforehand as I have ended up with sub standard and superfluous work done in the past when I didn't know the score.

Imagine if you took your car for an MOT and the garage refused to pass it unless you had ABS and airbags fitted. Yes your car would be much safer but the garage has no right to bully you into paying for such improvements if they are not mandatory. If your car meets the MOT standard test you should pass and you can always take the garages advice if you want better safety features.

In fact I suggested the use of RCBOs in my original post as an economical way to improve safety even if it were not mandatory.

So here it seems that some of you would rate the lack of RCD protection as C3 and others C2 so is there a definitive official answer or is it simply down to the competent person to justify? I do not know the exact age of the installation but will check for labels. It is probably 12 to 15 years old.

Thanks again.

The least demanding code it can be given is a C3, if it is not likely that any sockets will be powering outdoor equipment.
If it is likely to be used for outdoor equipment, then a C2 is to be issued.

Have a look at this :

http://www.esc.org.uk/fileadmin/use...y/best_practice/BestPracticeGuide4-Locked.pdf

and this:

Guidance for Landlords : Electrical Safety Council

As others have said though, there is good reason to fit RCD's, not least of which for safety reasons, but could be for insurance purposes, or LA licencing reasons.

Apologies if you have already looked at these.

Last edited:
Round my way a lot of the letting agents won't take on a property unless it has an up to date board fitted. Minimum seems to be RCD on sockets.

Thats a brave thing to do in these current economical times the one I do work for have been doing it for years but tackle it on a if required and peace meal basis

- - - Updated - - -

Thats a brave thing to do in these current economical times the one I do work for have been doing it for years but tackle it on a if required and peace meal basis

- - - Updated - - -
I've seen some letting agents state a minimum number of sockets per room, can run into thousands on some properties just to earn a couple of hundred quid each month.

The whole point of an EICR is to determine if an electrical installation is safe for continued operation by the end user. It must be tested by a by a skilled and competent person. Bight the bullet and have it tested by a local spark.
You don’t have to fix everything over night.

More info needed really, like is there any supplementary bonding in the kitchen and bathroom as this will affect the need for an RCD. Just get the report done by somebody registered and not a cowboy, then you can discuss all of their findings. You can also check them on the Safety Councils guide to EICR codes.

Suggest the Op author goes on www.esc.org.uk - have a look around.
An RCD even just a simple stand alone one can trip before an electrical fire gets a grip, i.e. at the over heating stage prior to full blown flames. An MCB will happily feed a fire until everything melts before tripping.
They are a no brainer and cost less than three gallons of fuel.

Car analogy does not work as the driver has the biggest influence over safety anyway, there is no driver in house electrics. When you are tucked up in bed, nasty gremlins come out and appliances, sometimes mass produced for pennies, let go.

Last one i read about was plug in fragrance devices, how harmless can they look, but sadly the worst happened and it burnt a house down.

Anyway as for C2 and C3, if i do a EICR on a dwelling - if there is no RCD anywhere, i use my knowledge and experience to justify a C2 on the basis of the massive benefit over cost they provide. In my view the lack of backward regulation for this is a cop out. In 2012 there is absolutely no need for people to live in houses with no RCD protection

Last one i read about was plug in fragrance devices, how harmless can they look, but sadly the worst happened and it burnt a house down.
There was a big thing about these in military accommodation a while back. All's dandy until they run out and are left on, they then overheat and start fires.

Just think the electrical industy is just fuddled over RCDs. Prior to 16th, most houses had one tele, bed-side light, immersion heater, hoover ect you get the picture. Look in a typical house today and its full of phone chargers, games consoles, AV stuff, teles in every room, wireless doorbells and yes even frangrance devices. Its a totally different landscape now, the total number of devices is an order of magnitude greater now.
Its OK making loads of them DI but that doesn't stop them failing sometimes spectaculaly.

As a addition point, I have an annexe to my house which I let out during the holidays, when I went to insure it they wanted the original cert, not a issue in my case, but as I enquired further the chappie went onto say that the insurance industry as a whole are soon to be going down the road of inspection reports on everything gas, water & electrics as part of the survey for purchases, renewals, and prior to insurance for rentals of all descriptions. this in part has came about due to the increased ammount of bogus claims on household insurance,
Pict

Ok i am ammused lol its a rental property and as such will fall under the local authorities mandate and as such it will be a requirment that the property is safe for the habitat of the dweller. If you have a test and inspection report done ( condition ) it will highlight any areas that would be a issue some may be non reghulation but there may be other which require improvement or replacing. In my expericenc landlords do not like to pay out on a property why ?? not all tenants are mindless thugs hell bent on destroying the house. BUt you have overlooked a very important aspect which is the insurance company who are very good at getting out of paying . most of these insurance companies do not say but will say when its required that they require a installation of a rcd to have been fitted and checked and you cannot get away from that. the recommendations made in the regs state when you should have a test carried out and how often and the law love to throw the book at bad or ignorant landlord the landlord association has a host of information of the electrical requirements pre letting and i would advice looking there and expect to pay for what is required
the way you have stated in the original post is you suspect that all electricians are out to fleece people

I will be renting out next year and have already decided, no matter what property i rent out, it will have at least a whole house RCD, 240V smoke alarms and a CO alarm.

In my view anything less, then the landlord is not fit to rent out, as this stuff is so cheap compared to a weeks rent.

If i was doing the EICR it would be a C2 for any issue with earthing or RCD protection. Hence un-satisfactory, so best not to call me

Plug and sparks - In my view, it doesn't really matter what YOU think. The regulations are pretty clearcut, You are only comparing what you find with the regulations as they stand and grading accordingly, You cannot make the regs up as you please, this is what the 'comments' section is for!

Just think the electrical industy is just fuddled over RCDs. Prior to 16th, most houses had one tele, bed-side light, immersion heater, hoover ect you get the picture. Look in a typical house today and its full of phone chargers, games consoles, AV stuff, teles in every room, wireless doorbells and yes even frangrance devices. Its a totally different landscape now, the total number of devices is an order of magnitude greater now.
Its OK making loads of them DI but that doesn't stop them failing sometimes spectaculaly.

I don't see how an RCD will help safety at all with the above mentioned devices, as an RCD will only trip on an imbalance usually L or N to Earth, not between L to N, and most of the above items are class II (no earth), and are likely if/when they go faulty, to be a fault between L to N which an RCD will not detect.

I don't see how an RCD will help safety at all with the above mentioned devices, as an RCD will only trip on an imbalance usually L or N to Earth, not between L to N, and most of the above items are class II (no earth), and are likely if/when they go faulty, to be a fault between L to N which an RCD will not detect.

Dont be so sure , those ambi-pur plug in fresheners are lethal , i've heard they can pull upto 0.0000001Amps.
;-D

Plug and sparks - In my view, it doesn't really matter what YOU think. The regulations are pretty clearcut, You are only comparing what you find with the regulations as they stand and grading accordingly, You cannot make the regs up as you please, this is what the 'comments' section is for!

Realise that but actually, the EICR does put a high degree of faith in the inspector.
Best practice states that it is up to the inspector to determine the approrpiate category. I know BS have tried to make it more steerable with the latest categories but honestly who else is out there trying to make electricity safe.
Happy to be pulled over the coals over it.

Come on, lets not get ---- about this. OK AV console goes faulty, overheats melts and starts to make a mess of the surrounding area. In which scenario will the power be cut first, with RCD or without. Its not hard to get 30mA to earth somehow.

Come on, lets not get ---- about this. OK AV console goes faulty, overheats melts and starts to make a mess of the surrounding area. In which scenario will the power be cut first, with RCD or without. Its not hard to get 30mA to earth somehow.

But that was the point I was trying to make, you won't get anything to earth on a class II item, the RCD will have no effect whatsoever in the scenario's outlined.

A lot of sparks misunderstand what an RCD can and can't do.

An RCD will only trip on an earth fault/imbalance, they do not provide OCP, that is what I was getting at, they are not a 'magic bullet' that some sparks think they are.

Reply to EICR and unnecessary work? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock