Discuss EICR Codebreakers: A Guide to Coding Observations for Electrical Installation Condition Reports in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JK-Electrical

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Has anyone bought a copy of this NAPIT publication? If so, what are you thoughts?

Wonder if its just the Best Practice Guide No4 with a different cover on it?

Very interested to hear if anyone has this, that said for only £9.99 I might even just buy a copy myself

Was Just about to say the same thing about the pricing for both members and non-members but Buzz beat me to it.

Best Practice note 4 as Murdock mentioned can be downloaded as a PDF and be printed if it is just the same information.

I got given a copy by a lad I know
It’s by Napit and gives slightly different code ratings to the best practice guide I’ve seen.
For instance an open conductor on testing a ring final , the napit book suggests a FI code where as best practice gives a C2.
Also things like if your meter tails are over 3 meters without a switch fused isolator then it suggests a C2.
There’s other examples were I don’t agree to be honest.

Also things like if your meter tails are over 3 meters without a switch fused isolator then it suggests a C2.

Thats interesting - especially as the meter tails are not part of the EICR inspection as I understand them. Sure this could be commented on but ..................

as for FI and C2 - they both result in an unsatisfactory ....

I swear every scheme makes up its own rules on these things to justify the new book, they then preach there own nonsense as if its an undeniable truth. its all subjective interpretation of BS7671 when you think about it, just wait to the 18th kicks in they will update all these books and charge more for them, the publishers are likely already working out their sales bonuses.

Thats interesting - especially as the meter tails are not part of the EICR inspection as I understand them. Sure this could be commented on but ..................

as for FI and C2 - they both result in an unsatisfactory ....
Yeah but why would it be an FI?
You know there’s a break in the ring say.
I would C2 that particular fault all day long.

It's a C2.........that requires further investigation
....and correction.

There will never be a definitive black and white this is what you must code every item, as there’s too much different opinion.
All you can do is use your best judgment and knowledge of the regulations.
The Niceic inspector came out to an Eicr I did last year and banged on about how you should be making sketches of the layout of the building.
Bear in mind it’s was a rather large solicitors offices.
I don’t recall this being on my testing and inspection exam nor in GN3 or the regulations.
He was told politely to ‘jog on’

^^ whether I'm doing a full change or an EICR, one of the first things I do is a sketch layout showing the outlets and lights .... Then I work out which breaker is doing what ...

There will never be a definitive black and white this is what you must code every item, as there’s to much different opinion.
The Niceic inspector came out to an Eicr I did last year and banged on about how you should be making sketches of the layout of the building.
I don’t recall this being on my testing and inspection exam nor in GN3 or the regulations
It's obviously his opinion and he shouldn't be insisting on something that isn't required. Full of themselves, some of them.

^^ whether I'm doing a full change or an EICR, one of the first things I do is a sketch layout showing the outlets and lights .... Then I work out which breaker is doing what ...
That's one good way to go about it, but not a necessity.

I’ve never felt the need as in large premises it’s not practical and I feel a waste of my time.
Yep. It would have taken a bit of time on one industrial EICR I did last year......with over 40 db's.

There will never be a definitive black and white this is what you must code every item, as there’s too much different opinion.
I don’t recall this being on my testing and inspection exam nor in GN3 or the regulations.
He was told politely to ‘jog on’
I've heard this suggestion a number of times. Aside from the fact that I can't draw for s%$te, there is no Regulation requiring you to sketch such a drawing.

In big places I have to draw a diagram or my head is scrambled. Then i go round turn everything on then see which breaker does what. That said each to their own so long as the detail is there.

Reply to EICR Codebreakers: A Guide to Coding Observations for Electrical Installation Condition Reports in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock