Discuss EICR, question regarding tails and fan isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S P

-
Reaction score
Good afternoon Guys,

I am writing up the certs for 3 flats I recently tested for an EICR and wanted to get some opinions on my views.

Back ground info; they were wired in 2000. Certificates present altho a bit incomplete. Test results there, just missing dates, cert number things like that. Overall good condition nothing that raised concerns.

The first thing is in one of the flats the fan isolator hasn't been wired correctly.
It doesn't just isolate the fan but also the bathroom and bedroom light.
Now altho this is not right in my opinion it does not present a current or potential danger so at most C3 if that? I know best practice would be for the isolator to be independent from the light to facilitate maintenance especially as this is in a room without windows. However I can't find a regulation and I know clients view will be it has been fine for 16 years. Anyone can easily leave the door open or use a torch as I did for testing. What's the verdict?

Second thing and this applies to the 3 flats. In the communal intake/meter cupboard some of tails at the bottom of the meter have the outer sheath stripped back to show 5-10mm of inner insulation.
Also from the cut out the neutral goes to a henley block before the meters, here all the tails show 10+mm of inner insulation.
I would never wire like this and the plonkers should have just used tape to identify the cable.
Can I not code or code c3?, as technically I shouldn't cut the seals to fix anyway.

I would like to avoid hassle from the client and read somewhere (can't find it again) that if the installation is satisfactory but there was an issue with the distributers equipment that I could still issue a satisfactory report with a side note regarding the findings of the distributers equipment for the client to pursue.
Altho we all know that's unlikely.

Thanks for you time.

Unless you can recommend an improvement for safety based on bs7671 then the fan isolator is not a code at all.

Basic insulation exposed is an automatic C2 I believe.

The fact that you want to avoid hassle from your customer is irrelevant to the EICR, you are reporting on the condition of the installation with respect to its safety for continued use, not making a list of easy repairs and pretending the difficult ones don't need doing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

agree no code for the isolator. from your description of the tails, i'd be inclined towards a C3, especially if the meter/intake cupboard is locked.

Thanks Dave

I understand your reasoning regarding the codes, what's your thoughts on the fact it's the distributers equipment.
Considering the rest of the installation is fine consumer side. Would you give it a satisfactory or unsatisfactory, I understand C2 must be un..
Would you do the work yourself? The meters sealed.

Many thanks

Thanks Dave

I understand your reasoning regarding the codes, what's your thoughts on the fact it's the distributers equipment.
Considering the rest of the installation is fine consumer side. Would you give it a satisfactory or unsatisfactory, I understand C2 must be un..
Would you do the work yourself? The meters sealed.

Many thanks

I thought you meant it was the consumers tails (outgoing side of meter) not the DNO's side.

Reply to EICR, question regarding tails and fan isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock